Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You're confusing animosity with disinterest. I've been going to Oshkosh since 1981. After seeing Bob Hoover fly, all the others are just so so journeymen (and women). They do it with power, Bob did it with grace.

The aircraft appearing today are rather trivial compared to the SR-71, the Concorde (still no sure which was louder), Voyager, SpaceShip One, and the Raptor.
    I can attest to disinterest in that we don't need to see 5 aerobatic acts flying similar aircraft all flying the same loops and rolls. But I never grow tired of watch the Aeroshell team perform, or the likes of Kirby Chambliss.

I will definitely agree that the aircraft appearing lately are not much of a draw, and last year were no special aircraft brought in at all. I mean a C-5 & C17 are cool, but been there, done that. Now a B-2 on the ground, that would be cool!

My theory is that folks 'mature' as Oshkosh participants...first it's the noise and excitement exemplified by the airshows, and after a period of time we dig deeper and find our special interests and the amazing, amazing people wandering around there with us.
    LOL My mother must have been right. I am a cranky old man trapped in a younger man's body. I got past the interest in airshows after a single airshow.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.