Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUV pulls out in front of landing Cessna 172.

SUV pulls out in front of landing Cessna 172.

Eek! I would need a new change of pants after that.

Yikes!

We have the same sort of approach at St. Clair County (PLR) and one has to adjust the glide angle to account for traffic. More than one motorist has been scared silly by a pilot going for a very shallow, low final.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    During WWII, when de Havilland Canada was building Mosquitos at their Downsview factory, they had to put a traffic light to stop cars from doing this very thing. There were some great photos of this at the beleagured Canadian Air and Space Museum, but this was the best I could find online after a brief search - a photo of a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7821584...ream/lightbox/

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Name:  P-51 landing Stout Field.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  67.1 KB Name:  C-47 landing Stout Field.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  55.9 KB

These were taken at Stout Field here in Indianapolis around the time of WWII. That's Minnesota Street.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I had a 172 based at that airport. Was the most convenient / closest one for me.

My son took some of his PPL lessons in that very aircraft in 2006. A few notes that weren't provided in the link above.

The folks in the SUV said on another TV station that they head out to 52F on a regular basis and are familiar with the protocol with that roadway.

There are no "traditional" stopsigns or "watch for low-flying aircraft" signs in place. The only markings are the words "STOP" painted on the roadway on each side of the runway.

The road / rwy are at the base of a slight hill/rise. The pilot was a bit lower than one would usually come over the fence, but, hey, I've done it myself a few times. Never really noticed if you could see a vehicle or not from the air if it was close.

I have no idea whether the SUV occupants stopped and looked or not, and it would be foolish of me to speculate.

Just thought I'd pass on a bit of additional information.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

One RW at Dallas-Love had a perimeter road crossing just like this one. It was the first time that I saw the note "TCH" on a procedure.
    Bob

Seems like that runway should have a displaced threshold...

I prefer White over White you can always get it to the runway,they looked way low for me! It was fortunate it ended as it did. It is to bad it happened another mark in the record books of GA. Which I hope we are all trying to preserve. VOTE tomorrow please!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Seems like that runway should have a displaced threshold...
    It does...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton