Thread: Eaa b-17 repair

Eaa b-17 repair

I see that they are asking for cash but wouldn't it be cheaper with volunteers? I wonder if they are afraid some builders don't have the skills to repair a B-17. I know at the airlines every mechanic that picks up a drill is not a sheet metal man/woman but if they gave a fabrication writen/hands on skills test to those that applied that would limit the accidental damage. Those that don't pass the test still have value cleaning and priming and everyone wins. At least we could save a few bucks and make a few friends.

http://www.eaa.org/support/b17repair.asp?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email &utm_campaign=Development&utm_content=121115+b17ap peal2
    Last edited by RV8505; 11-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Note that the EAA B-17 *carries passengers for money*. I'm not surprised that they prefer licensed help.

Ron Wanttaja

If you're ever in Urbana, Ohio for a day and want to spend time working on restoring a B-17 to flying status, visit the Champaign Aviation Museum at Grimes Field. With your help, that B-17 will someday fly! Anyone can and does help.
    http://www.champaignaviationmuseum.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Note that the EAA B-17 *carries passengers for money*. I'm not surprised that they prefer licensed help.

Ron Wanttaja

There are quite a few active and retired airline mechanics in the EAA.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I asked Margaret Viola, our Air Tours Program Manager about this, and this was her response (note - she actually sent this to me yesterday, so the delay in posting is my fault, not hers):

You can let them know that volunteers are *always* welcome at the Weeks Hangar, we’d love to see volunteers join us for this fix, at any skill level. John Hopkins has asked me to tell you that if there’s anybody out there who can join us longer term – 2 weeks to 1 month – who has some advanced skill sets (retired A&P for example) we could certainly use the help. Sheet metal capabilities, basic A&P, or as RV8505 says, folks to help clean and/or prime would be appreciated and would probably have a lot of fun with us.

To respond to Ron Wanttaja: Our staff mechanics supervise and sign off all work on our aircraft. Volunteers with A&P licenses are able to help us with more detailed work, but our mechanics have to manage the heavier maintenance work. Volunteers who do not have an A&P license are welcome to help us with the cosmetic work on the airplanes, which really is a big job in itself.

So glad people are talking about this!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I asked Margaret Viola, our Air Tours Program Manager about this, and this was her response (note - she actually sent this to me yesterday, so the delay in posting is my fault, not hers):

You can let them know that volunteers are *always* welcome at the Weeks Hangar, we’d love to see volunteers join us for this fix, at any skill level. John Hopkins has asked me to tell you that if there’s anybody out there who can join us longer term – 2 weeks to 1 month – who has some advanced skill sets (retired A&P for example) we could certainly use the help. Sheet metal capabilities, basic A&P, or as RV8505 says, folks to help clean and/or prime would be appreciated and would probably have a lot of fun with us.

To respond to Ron Wanttaja: Our staff mechanics supervise and sign off all work on our aircraft. Volunteers with A&P licenses are able to help us with more detailed work, but our mechanics have to manage the heavier maintenance work. Volunteers who do not have an A&P license are welcome to help us with the cosmetic work on the airplanes, which really is a big job in itself.

So glad people are talking about this!

Is there room in the Bunk house and does it have heat?

I was originally supposed to be laid off for the next six weeks. I only live an hour away and would have loved to help out. Fortunately/unfortunately my employer is keeping me on. Granted I need the money, but it would have been a great experience working on the plane I had my first B-17 ride in.