Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best GA airport to visit - and why?

And that was pretty good and knowing that 3V5 was Ft. Collins Downtown, which was a great airport about 50 miles north of Denver, until some slimy developer bought it and closed the runway. He may be going bankrupt so there is some slim hope that it might reopen.
    To be fair, the end of it had a lot to do with the rather unfortunate crash that claimed the life of the owner who I will agree with you ran a great little field. His family (friends of my uncle Ed) tried to sell it as an airport but no one was interested in it from a practical business perspective (there were a lot of folks who wanted to keep it open but the squabbling and lack of coordination crushed the chance of that). While it's not ideal that the runway was closed, it's not just some "slimy" developer who screwed us over. The pilot community out there failed themselves and us. It's just easier to blame it on outsiders rather than to recognize our own shortcomings and the all too frequent lack of willingness to put aside petty differences to ensure a positive outcome. That is probably the most frustrating part of being a community that self-selects for overconfident, Type-A control freaks....
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Let's get back to Happy Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
    Let's get back to Happy Thoughts
    Right.

My short list is 3CM (Bay City, MI), KFRH (French Lick, Indiana) and KLOU (Louisville).

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I love New England Airports! Katama on Martha's vieyard is one of the best.
    http://www.biplanemv.com/katama.shtml
    Last edited by RV8505; 11-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.

I purchased my plane in Kansas and then flew back west. I would love to take two months off hit all these airports. Ahh someday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
    I purchased my plane in Kansas and then flew back west. I would love to take two months off hit all these airports. Ahh someday.
    You come through Indiana, you're always welcome to meet up with us. I am happy to play tour guide.

Steve, when I refer to the buyer of Ft. Collins airport, ( not Loveland) as a slimy developer, I think I am being pretty accurate, based on my being a customer and visitor to that airport since 1983 when I started going there for service.

When one of the owners was killed, sadly in the accident, there were other lessor owners, I think, though I am not sure about this.
    In any case even well after his loss, the airport was operating fully and seemed to be doing well.
    There were two flight schools there, two general repair shops, an engine building shop, the FBO fuel service, and two major restoration shops the specialized in vintage and especially warbird planes.
    I have seen some of the finest warbirds anywhere in the USA there, Jap Zero, a number of Mustangs, 2 original Me 109 with Diamler engines, DC-3, 3 Spitfires, Collings B-24 and B-17. By the way Collings did rides out of there even on the 4000 foot runway, and I got to fly it about 20 minutes including a pass over the lake west of there to many cheers and waves from the boaters below. The excellent restoration of the Oshkosh post WW II winner Fairey Firefly owned by Capt. Eddie was done there, and as was the Hurricane owned by Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston that was Osh winning quality. The rare exp Allison engine P-51 that is in the EAA museum was done there and several T-28 and P-51s were prepared there and then flown across the Atlantic.

It was a happy and friendly little airport, not harming anyone and brought customers like me to the nearby restaurants and motel a short walk away or in town.

Then along comes the lawyer from Denver who buys it and first runs out the low income folks living in the new subdivision just on the north side. Then he closes the runway and almost everyone has to leave, The shop I use is still there, and one or two others.

He has never redeveloped it, and I have heard that he does not have the money. But he dug a strip out of one end of the runway just to be a jackass and now a truck driving school uses it.

There are many other places that he could have bought and messed up while ignoring the wishes of the people who had used it for many years, he did not have to ruin this gem of a small airport.
    But money talks and the greed for it screams.

I know local people there that would love to own and operate the airport but don't have the funds for that.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-13-2012 at 11:59 AM.

the best for me "castellon" in Spain.

Sun, beach and "paella".
    http://www.aeroclubcastellon.com/

Steveinindy I hope to take you up on that one of these days. My son races flat track so he heads east a lot.

Aerobull that looks pretty tasty!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...paella!