Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best GA airport to visit - and why?

mmcgrew

Happy Best GA airport to visit - and why?

Lets do a happy thread. How about posting your favorite GA, FBO, Hangar visit. Tell us who, what, why and when and people. It will be fun to read about your experience, then making a visit to that airport.

Thanks

Michael

I like my local FBO at KDAN, located in Danville, in South-central Virginia. The only FBO there has a very creative name: "General Aviation", which is a full service FBO, and even offers flight training by a no-kidding, very experienced CFII. You can see him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=bUtKcCtJ6uo . This was the very first FBO I ever visited, and I'll never forget seeing my first flight lounge there. (Incidentally, is that something every pilot remembers back when they were a potential flight student, their very first tour of the flight lounge?) Hope you visit there sometime; they've got model planes hanging from the ceiling and friendly folks!
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 11-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Pretty hard to beat Chino. You can walk around for days peeking in hangars and see just about everything you can imagine.

For those in the neighborhood, you have to go a long way to beat Penn Valley at Selinsgorve, PA. Friendly, service oriented staff....free coffee and cookies in the Terminal lounge where you can eat and watch runway activity through the large picture window. Pilot's lounge furnished with large screen TV, shower, and leather loungers. Computer Flight planning available, as is major maintenance and flight school.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Million Airs have the best lookin' counter girls on average.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Check out KPLU. Pilot/mechanic toy store for hardware and supplies. Great staff, pilot lounge, and loaner car.

Here is a photo of me and my wife with the Spencer Aircraft front counter staff in front of our J3 Cub. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Another great place to go is Sunriver, Or. Great friendly staff, comfortable pilot lounge, with many visitors that come to the airport to watch planes land and takeoff. You can also hop on a free bike and ride in town.
    Last edited by 2VW; 11-12-2012 at 07:02 AM.

For 2VW, I am sure that your favorite, KPLU is a nice place, but believe it or not, everyone may not know the code for every airport and not have a KLUE what or where KPLU is.

For guessing games my favorite is probably 3V5.

May I also make a safety suggestion, it is not a good practice to have anyone stand in the arc of a prop, even if for a photo, especially not a pretty girl.
    Props can kill, even on a Cub, and should be regarded as always dangerous, best to just stay out of their arc, and not let non pilots and especially kids ever get blase around them.

P S real Cubs have wood props!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.

airnav.com is a beautiful thing.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

I thought this was a happy thread. But good points on location and safety: KPLU is located in Puyallup WA also known as Thun Field. Sunriver is located in Oregon. Easiest to put KPLU in your Garmin, Foreflight, IPad as it may not recognize Thun Field as it probably wouldnt recognize Valley Airport later named Fort Collins followed by Downtown Fort Collins otherwise known as K3V5. Now that I was so detailed don't expect me to fill out your flight plan

PS Your right the prop is not wood, but The blond next to the prop is a Pilot.

I am new to this forum, but lets Remember Pilots are a dying bread, we should not try to insult the one we have. It is a 1939 Cub with a metal prop, but it flies and we have fun with it.
    Last edited by 2VW; 11-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.

2VW,
    No insult was meant in my post, some of it serious and some in jest, but all in good faith was intended. We need some new folks to this forum and if you start off by posting photos of two good looking things, the Cub and the ladies, then that is really starting on the right foot.

So you are up in rainy country, so maybe that explains the metal prop, as I have been told they may be better when it is wet.

I do like the looks and feel of wood props and that is how they left the factory originally. Mine is a dated Valinetines Day, 1946 and she is a sweetheart. Wood props might be or at least feel a little safer when starting with no electric system like mine is.

As for as me putting something in my "Garmin Foreflight IpAD" etc. , well I barely know what those are, much less how to work them. I maybe, just might be able to put batteries in one. My girlfriend loves techno crap, Apple in particular, and after several years of hearing how great Apple is, I finally bought stock in it and promptly lost about $2500 of value.
    I can operate about only slightly more electro techno gadgets than my Cub came with. Fortunetaly it goes slow enough that you aren't likely to get too far lost. But as long as they make sectional charts, I can probably find my way.
    A local, (Boulder) CFI friend just ferried a J3 back from Minn, in 2 days for the new owner.

And that was pretty good and knowing that 3V5 was Ft. Collins Downtown, which was a great airport about 50 miles north of Denver, until some slimy developer bought it and closed the runway. He may be going bankrupt so there is some slim hope that it might reopen.
    I don't think it ever was or is known as K3V5, though, I think the K only goes with letters like KFNL, which calls itself Ft. Collins Loveland, although it is not in Ft. Collins, sort of like Eagle, EGE likes to call itself Eagle Vail, even though it is not at Vail.
    The Aspen airport calls itself Aspen, and it is at Aspen or just on the outskirts, not 20 miles away.
    So what was one of my current favorite airports, used to be 1V5?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-12-2012 at 04:21 PM.