Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win a stearman!

The CanAms are two-wheeled cars. They steer like a car rather than either a two-wheeled machine or a trike with the two wheels in the back.

Ron , I don't understand what you mean by a 2 wheeled car? The photo clearly shows 2 wheels in front and 1 wheel in back, for a total of 3. Or do you have the same accountant as the Romney camp, and doing a little creative new math?

Don, you have a great memory, but you must be like me, getting long in the tooth.
    Thanks much for the ride, and if you are still in Salt Lake, I'd like to phone you and ask for a favor? No, its not money, but might take some time.
    Thanks, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Ron , I don't understand what you mean by a 2 wheeled car? The photo clearly shows 2 wheels in front and 1 wheel in back, for a total of 3. Or do you have the same accountant as the Romney camp, and doing a little creative new math?

Don, you have a great memory, but you must be like me, getting long in the tooth.
    Thanks much for the ride, and if you are still in Salt Lake, I'd like to phone you and ask for a favor? No, its not money, but might take some time.
    Thanks, Bill
    The political remark was really unnecessary. As for the Can-Am Spyder, Ron was referring to the way they steer when he wrote "two-wheeled." They steer just like a car, or a cage as my fellow biker brethren call them. Regular motorcycles rely on countersteering to turn (steer right to turn left), while three-wheeled bikes like the Can-Am with two wheels in the front steer more like a car. For more on countersteering, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering. As an aside, the differences between handling trikes versus bikes are enough that some states require a separate license endorsement for each.

Can-Ams are nice machines, and I'd say the Spyder is a pretty nice second prize. Too bad staff are exempt from the raffle!

If I win the Stearman I will follow Steven Coonts path in his book "The Cannibal Queen" and spend a summer flying to every state in the lower 48! The front seat will go to the guy/gal who writes the best 500 word theme for why he/she should ride along.

Joe

I did not notice what they are raffling besides the Stearman, but if they are giving away a Can Am reverse trike, that's a GREAT runner up prize!!

More precisely, counter steering is the control input. A motorcycle turns because it leans quite analogous to an aircraft. What I meant to write was "Can-Ams are three wheeled cars". Which probably would make more sense. Two wheeled cars is my joke for the big assed hondas and road kings that have air conditioning, cd players, gps, and all sorts of other odditites.

Banned
    As I don't have one minute of taildragger time, when I win the Stearman it's going on a beautifully restored set of EDO's from the period and painted to match. Is this heaven? Will I be in heaven? Yes, and yes. I better start writing out those stubs....500 will take some serious commitment