Thread: Aircraft Builder/Maintainer Hint

Aircraft Builder/Maintainer Hint

Over the years, I've collected a motley batch of shallow trays to put parts in (temporarily) while working on my Fly Baby. Most of these are from Vishnu knows where...just some plastic tray about the size of a paperback book that'll sit on the wing and keep all the cowling screws in one place without scratching the paint.

Discovered a great product for this... the Ziploc folks, who make the sealable bags, also produce a series of disposable food containers. These are perfect... plastic, various sizes, even a lid if you want to avoid the scattering effect if a power cord or air line brushes them.

Best of all, they're cheap: About a buck each, in sets of five.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...Small%20Square

They're available in the food section at Target, Walmart, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

I've got a bunch of them. Works great.

I have used them both in the kitchen & shop, they are handy, but the plastic does degrade over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    ...but the plastic does degrade over time.
    Mike, you cheap pilot side is showing! They aren't meant to last forever. We have them for food for our kids, in multiple brands, and they work great but are meant to be tossed after a while. They degrade faster when you run them through the dishwasher and microwave a lot!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    They degrade faster when you run them through the dishwasher and microwave a lot!
    And they are hard to clean grease out of. This cheap pilot ended up buying some small Pyrex dishes with lids for the kitchen.

One thing about them....the Ziplock lids will not fit anything but Ziplock containers and vice versa....found that out the hard way one night running way late getting off to work. Couldn't get lid on a container and finally tossed the whole thing in a larger one that had a lid on it, so I could get on the road. Discovered what the problem was when I got to work...Now they get stored with lids on even though it takes more cabinet space.

I've used 'em for years...not only for holding nuts and bolts but great for the occasional brake job to catch the fluid out of the caliper or below the oil filter when I un-screw it during my oil change. I also have one to catch my drip*.

I DID learn that it's best to buy your own instead of stealing from the kitchen...who knew the House Commander was counting the Chinese Tupperware???

Chris

* The Hiperbipe has a teeny drip of oil out the cowl flap. No matter what I do 3-4 drops per flight. I've come to terms with it and it now has it's own little drip pan...!
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Over the years, I've collected a motley batch of shallow trays to put parts in (temporarily) while working on my Fly Baby. Most of these are from Vishnu knows where...just some plastic tray about the size of a paperback book that'll sit on the wing and keep all the cowling screws in one place without scratching the paint.

Discovered a great product for this... the Ziploc folks, who make the sealable bags, also produce a series of disposable food containers. These are perfect... plastic, various sizes, even a lid if you want to avoid the scattering effect if a power cord or air line brushes them.

Best of all, they're cheap: About a buck each, in sets of five.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...Small%20Square

They're available in the food section at Target, Walmart, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

I have something Cheaper, Easier and Disposable. A bag sealer and a roll of tube plastic for bags. I have been working with this for over ten years and yet to run out of bags. I had a little bigger roll than that shown. ALso, I can make the bag longer if need be. I also bought a gross of stickers to write what the contents are with a sharpie! I love it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Bag-S...item1c2b48c092

http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-40ft-rol...item4ab77076c5
    Last edited by RV8505; 10-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.