Thread: Cloudiness while polishing

Cloudiness while polishing

I'm getting used to polishing the Rv-7A. I bought a Nuvite system at Oshkosh this year and I'm really having a good time using it and the plane is starting to look great.

One thing I noticed today while using the C grade is on a pass with the unit, the cloudiness increased in a spot, and then I couldn't really get it out. It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious why this occurs?

Hi, Bob;

Is this your first polish attempt, or an annual refresher? Also, I was of the impression (since I built a Sonex, not an RV) that the alclad was pretty well polished just by peeling off the blue protective wrap.

With my Sonex, I had problems if I didn't use ENOUGH C-grade Nuvite. If I went back for another pass and used "wetter" fingerprints, all cleared up.

Another question: I'm assuming you're using a rotary buffer, not an orbital, at this point. With the Sonex, we use F7 or 9 and grade C with a rotary, then use the orbital for the final "S" pass. Dunno if that has any bearing on your situation.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

This is the first polish job after 11 years of building. The blue plastic will protect your AL from scratches and such, but it's not that shiny, especially with the cloudiness of the adhesive and such. Plus there's normal oxidation over time. "The Nuvite shine" is really awesome on the plane. I'll experiment a little with wetting the fingertip a bit more. And yet,you're correct, I use rotary for the first two grades and the orbital for the S grade.

Here's another polishing question. With Nuvite, after the last polishing with the S grade, and after wiping the surface with mineral spirits, it suggests wiping with a cloth covered with flour. What is the purpose of the flour?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Collins View Post
    and after wiping the surface with mineral spirits, it suggests wiping with a cloth covered with flour. What is the purpose of the flour?
    Clean off the residue left when mineral spirits evaporates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Collins View Post
    I'm getting used to polishing the Rv-7A. I bought a Nuvite system at Oshkosh this year and I'm really having a good time using it and the plane is starting to look great.

One thing I noticed today while using the C grade is on a pass with the unit, the cloudiness increased in a spot, and then I couldn't really get it out. It's not a huge deal, I'm just curious why this occurs?
    Sometimes you can miss a really stubborn patch of oxidation that will show up in the end as a cloudy spot but it is whitish. if you hit it with f7-c-s that usually clears it up. if its grayish brown cloud its either a burn or left over polish