Thread: Drilled a rivet too far

Drilled a rivet too far

I didn't just stop at the head of the rivet, I went all the way through and now the original hole is oval shaped. Its a Toolbox Kit from Vans and just recently I got a 3x gun. When I tried to buck my first rivet of course it was crooked and I didn't realize I was suppose to drill just the head and not the whole rivet and now I have an oval shaped hole and I'm wondering what I can do to fix if there is a way I can.

The fix is to drill the hole for the next larger rivet. If the hole is close to the edge of a sheet, you have to make sure proper edge distance is maintained. They make boo-boo rivets, larger shank but same size head so you can install an oversize rivet and nobody will know by looking at the manufactured head.

Sounds like you are having a learning experience.

May I suggest that before you go too much farther that you get some scrap aluminum and practice riveting two pieces together, and then drill out some rivets to polish your technique?

I will offer the suggestion that when drilling out a rivet head, I first go at it with a drill bit at least one size smaller than the rivet hole. Once I know that the hole is centered, then I can either switch drill bits, or put a punch into the hole and try to snap the rivet head off.

Best of luck,

Wes

Ac 43.13-1b

In the absence of manufacture's data, you may want to look at FAA Advisory Circular 43.13, Chapter 4, Section 4. 43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentID/99861

Good luck!

Guys, re-read the post... He is building the TOOLBOX from Van's. Yes, a learning experience, not flight critical. Good info though.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I read the part about the tool box..... better to be pointed in the right direction early on.

BTW: Rutan did something similar with the original vari-ez plans where you'd build a composite book end. Kinda neat way to start a project.

Best guide for drilling out solid rivets is Vern Little's...
    http://donsbushcaddy.com/sitebuilder...olidRivets.pdf
    Don...
    BushCaddy N2C
    http://www.donsbushcaddy.com