Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Welcome Mr. Pelton

Hey Hal!,

Given the recent turmoil in Oshkosh and all the abuse laid out on various threads, is there an actual job description and necessary experience requirements for the job of leading EAA? We've got a whole lot of guys out there that would like somebody who has re-built a Cub and flies it off his grass farm strip. That is pretty kool, but may not be a good choice for leading 160K people with big ego's...a pre-requisite for a pilot license.

Joe

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Joe - As far as I know, nothing has been posted anywhere at this point. I suspect that it's something that that the Board (or a subcommittee thereof) will be developing in the coming weeks. In the meantime... have you ever re-built a Cub?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Hey Hal!,

Given the recent turmoil in Oshkosh and all the abuse laid out on various threads, is there an actual job description and necessary experience requirements for the job of leading EAA? We've got a whole lot of guys out there that would like somebody who has re-built a Cub and flies it off his grass farm strip. That is pretty kool, but may not be a good choice for leading 160K people with big ego's...a pre-requisite for a pilot license.

Joe

Rod Hightower restored a Stearman and flew it off turf runways. Can't say that turned very well.

Hal,

No, other than model airplanes as kid I've only done a little basic maintenance on club airplanes. I did take the introductory SportAir course in Oshkosh with Ron Alexander back in the 90's. While I'd love to own and fly a homebuilt I know myself well enough to keep my focus on flying not building. I only used that Cub line to show the contrast within our membership regarding needs vs expectations. In the end, the board will have to decide and of course there will be some segments of the membership that will gripe. We as pilots have been lucky enough to see the world in a broader perspective than most of the population, we need to step back and understand that we're seeing historical change sweeping across the globe and its' impacts are not well understood. It's natural to resent change and going "tribal" is not a new reaction for mankind.

EAA is just one tree in a small woods, the whole forest is changing around us, and it will take some time for things to become clear.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Also, I hope they take their time. With an apparently competent interim leader, what's the hurry? I'd like to see Mr. Pelton in charge through next year's Oshkosh. By then everybody should be able to decide whether they think he's the right person for the job--and the board will have had time to consider lots of candidates.
    Good thinking, MEdwards. I like that.