Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Mr. Pelton

Welcome Mr. Pelton

Wishing you success in you new role as EAA chairman.

Daniel Findling

As I read it, Jack Pelton is only filling in until the vacancy is permanently filled. Not really a recipe for success.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Jack was elected by the board as Chairman, which is a 3 year term, with an option for a 3 year extension. He is not the CEO.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    He is not the CEO.
    But Mr. Pelton is acting President and CEO in the interim, is he not? That's what the EAA.org web page says. Some message subject on another board called him "interim chairman" and that's wrong.

Does anybody know how long Mr. Pelton has been on the Board of Directors before it just created the postion of Chairman and elected him to it?
    EDIT: Nevermind, I see he was elected last February.
    Last edited by MEdwards; 10-24-2012 at 06:28 PM.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    To the best of my knowledge, there has always been a position on the board titled Chairman. I don't know where you got the idea that it was just created, but that's simply not true.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Quote Originally Posted by danielfindling View Post
    Wishing you success in you new role as EAA chairman.

Daniel Findling
    Thank you Daniel for trying to say something positive. We need more positive wishes and support for everyone steering EAA no matter what their titles.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    Thank you Daniel for trying to say something positive. We need more positive wishes and support for everyone steering EAA no matter what their titles.
    Exactly. I hope he is successful and he has my respect for having the cajones to take on that position. I would not want it because of the bickering and grousing between the membership as divided along arbitrary lines of interest.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

The discussions regarding Jack Pelton are all too similar to the political attacks we see during this election season. "He lied about having an engineering degree!" "Ummm... well, he HAS an engineering degree, but it's from a non-accredited college!" "He was investigated by 60 Minutes!" "Oh, well, maybe not...."

It's all a matter of...pardon the pun.... degree. If he had attempted to get a job *as an engineer*, I'd be concerned. But that's not my understanding. He apparently stated "I have a degree in engineering from Diplomamill University" while angling for the CEO job. If he'd been applying for an engineering job, he probably would have been laughed at, but if all he said was that he had an engineering degree, he was 100% truthful. Having a "real" engineering degree was apparently *not* a requirement for the CEO job, otherwise Cessna would have booted him.

A good comparison is someone who has a white lab coat with "Dr. Jones" embroidered on the front. If he uses it to pick up women in bars, that's one thing. But if he dispenses medical advice and hands out medicine samples, that's something totally different. I *am* an engineer, and am more amused by Pelton's actions than offended. I've considered getting a diploma mill divinity degree, just for giggles.

I think Pelton is a good choice for the interim leader. Yes, he's the former CEO of a "jet company," but he is a pilot and has owned classic aircraft. Best of luck to him....

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 10-25-2012 at 08:44 AM.

And here I thought Cessna was still making 172s, 182s, 20-somethings, etc., all equipped with spinny things on the front and no compressors, hot sections, etc. In other words, Cessna makes jet AND Propellor planes. All the planes I've ever sat in the front seat of have had propellers, many of them had "Cessna" painted on the side, so what is the conflict?

Welcome aboard, Mr. New Leader. Good luck herding the large group of cats called "members."
    — Hank
    1970 M20-C

Be sure to draw the complete set of protective gear from supply. The torso armor and helmet are vital, but be sure to take due care and dilligence when fitting for the cup; I suspect it will be the most valuable of things to wear in your new position.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.