Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TIG Welding Machines (what am I looking for?)

Flashback arrestors: Needed or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Sub,
    None you have listed are what are considered "aircraft" type torches, meaning small handles, front valves, and "A" size fittings on the torch. Here is a link to a Uniweld setup that I use and have suggested to many students. Made right here in the USA and of good quality.
    http://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-Centur...weld+torch+kit

This setup comes with small cylinders, however should you get into a big project, larger ones can be bought/leased and the torch set transfered to them.
    I just ordered and am looking forward to receiving a KCL100 Centurian set - that P/N is less tanks and cart. I've been searching and researching welding sets for awhile now and your post - along with the fact that they are made in the USA - finally made my mind up. I also looked at the slightly more expensive Patriot set but could find no difference other than a shinier regulator - with the same flow rates and one extra welding tip. Uniweld's site is a little tedious to navigate and doesn't contain a whole lot of information to compare their products or explain why one is better than another for certain jobs.

I have a question about backflash arrestors. I grew up and still live in farming and ranching country and just about every other pickup has a set of tanks in the bed which are used by folks from 8 to 80 years old. I have never seen a backflash arrestor and never heard of an incident because of the lack of them. So, to the point.

• How important are they?
    • I see that there are regulator end and torch end types. Is one better than the other, or do you need both?
    • The price! I found it ranged from less than $20 to over $100! WTH - I wouldn't expect that much spread unless I compared SnapOn tools to Harbor Freight stuff. Uniweld's were among the most expensive. If one really should have them, what properties should one look for and expect to pay? I guess the first part of that question is not so important as no ad or even uniweld's site gives any performance data on them, some didn't even mention what size connection they had.

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on this subject.

Steve

Don't know if I have any business thinking about building an airplane at my age but the small torch will sure knock out a lot of those artsy, craftsy things my spouse wants constructed.

My welding shop guy told me I didn't want backflash arrestors. I don't recall why but he explained it to me at the time, and he could have made more money if he had sold them to me.

My torch (Victor 100) does have built in check valves.

That would be interesting to know if it ever comes back to you. I might bring the subject up when I get my tanks. I didn't buy the torch locally because their gas welding stock leans heavily towards heavy cutting sets and is all made in China.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    My welding shop guy told me I didn't want backflash arrestors. I don't recall why but he explained it to me at the time, and he could have made more money if he had sold them to me.

My torch (Victor 100) does have built in check valves.

I will ask next time I am in there if I remember. Ernie passed away shortly after that but his son is running the shop.

Typically arrestors are not used on small torches due to the low pressures and small volume of gasses contained in the hoses. Check valves usually require some ammount of pressure to open, and that pressure is often times higher than what the torch is running at, so they either wont open, or "squeal" and pulsate like crazy. In all honesty a flashback on a small torch is a non-event. Ive had it happen 20 or 30 times. Just shut off the valves, wait for the handle to cool a bit and get then re-light. Use the tool smartly, respect it, and you will be fine.

Quick comment,When a young chap I worked on the mines here in Aussie and we used to repair the aluminium parts of the underground rock drills with the oxy.These were the actual piston body parts and you had to use a stainless wire brush only so as not impart any ferrous impurities in to aluminium.WE used a one eighth aluminium rod and learned the melting point and when to remove the flame.It's solid one moment and liquid the next.It can be done ,it just needs judicious use of the flame. Cheers ross