Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TIG Welding Machines (what am I looking for?)

Before buying anything, I suggest you go to your local community college and take both the gas and TIG classes. Not only will it make you a better welder but will network you with folks that are in the know and use the equipment.
    I did that before buying my Miller synchro wave TIG, took my aircraft cert exam as well as became a competent ox-acetylene welder. Also, like any other skill, practice and then practice some more before welding anything that your life depends on.

Quote Originally Posted by gisnar View Post
    Before buying anything, I suggest you go to your local community college and take both the gas and TIG classes. Not only will it make you a better welder but will network you with folks that are in the know and use the equipment.
    I did that before buying my Miller synchro wave TIG, took my aircraft cert exam as well as became a competent ox-acetylene welder. Also, like any other skill, practice and then practice some more before welding anything that your life depends on.
    This is a great idea. BUT, the number of community colleges or technical schools teaching those classes is in a steep decline. The last time I checked here NW of Atlanta, there wasn't anything available within about 40 miles, which is sad given the fact that there are 2 technical schools and two engineering schools within about 15 miles.

Go to your local welding or fabrication shop, they are probably starving in this economy and ask if they will teach you to do TIG and GAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Go to your local welding or fabrication shop, they are probably starving in this economy and ask if they will teach you to do TIG and GAS.

Tough part of that is finding one who's people are proficient in welding fairly light gauge material, especially in Gas. Plus I see a lot of bad techniques used by most "welding shops" in respect to aviation welding. Maybe a call to the EAA will lead to a connection in your area ?? Afterall you do pay this organization for help in this manner.

Aaron,

What do you think about this kit from Aircraft Spruce?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...gentecKA50.php

What would the pros and cons of such a setup?

Here are more pocket sized setups;

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-0384-09...pr_product_top
    http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-770500-...lene+torch+kit

snz

PS. lots of good things said about the Henrob package so I'm weight that as well...
    Last edited by subnoize; 10-26-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Sub,
    None you have listed are what are considered "aircraft" type torches, meaning small handles, front valves, and "A" size fittings on the torch. Here is a link to a Uniweld setup that I use and have suggested to many students. Made right here in the USA and of good quality.
    http://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-Centur...weld+torch+kit

This setup comes with small cylinders, however should you get into a big project, larger ones can be bought/leased and the torch set transfered to them. Setting up a high quality homebuilders shop does not have to be expensive, if you add a flare reduction lens to this price you can now weld aluminum with excellent results.

Oh and on the Henrob....save your money as you will find it awkward for tubing welding. I own one along with over 50 mainly aircraft size torches...so I do have something to compare it to Its a nice torch, but does nothing that a normal good quality design wont. The claims of fuel savings when welding are all BS.
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 10-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Aaron, the setup doesn't include tanks as noted in the product features header below. That doesn't mater to me as most places switch out bottles on you from what I hear. What does bother me are the bottles suppose to come with this setup and the third party seller just trying to cheat me?

Uniweld's site has different products listed than the Amazon search. Is the Amazon affiliated seller just selling older stuff?

snz

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    Aaron, the setup doesn't include tanks as noted in the product features header below. That doesn't mater to me as most places switch out bottles on you from what I hear. What does bother me are the bottles suppose to come with this setup and the third party seller just trying to cheat me?

Uniweld's site has different products listed than the Amazon search. Is the Amazon affiliated seller just selling older stuff?

snz
    Sub, the Uniweld page says the KLC100P comes without (w/o) tanks. It is the fourth one listed in the table under the specifications tab, but NOT the one shown or talked about on the other tabs.

http://www.uniweld.com/index.php/pro...g,-and-brazing

Jim
    Also interested in learning gas welding.
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 10-27-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

I bought a set of Victor torches, gauges, and regulators from a pawn shop for 100 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Sub, the Uniweld page says the KLC100P comes without (w/o) tanks. It is the fourth one listed in the table under the specifications tab, but NOT the one shown or talked about on the other tabs.
    I stand corrected!

Thanks everyone! I think I will buy gas if I do build this Double Eagle. Truthfully, when you do the costs and time it will take, the Double Eagle takes about the same amount of time as a Sonex, costs more in tools and doesn't give you 1/10th the airplane. I might as well just forget the welding thing and go the route I wanted to in the first place and except it will take me five years to finish.

I would much rather end up with a Waiex for the pain, right?

snz