Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

OK where to start?

I agree with Jim Clark that EAA is a social organization founded around interest in aviation. I've been a member of several chapters over the years whose membership varies from backyard mechanics to "high flyers" who own Bonanza's. Small chapters tend to be pretty "tight" with the same leadership year after year and take on the personality of that leadership. Larger chapters mean more people and that always means a bit more "politics". You can usually judge the focus of a chapter and how you fit in a couple of meetings. Now as far as EAA HQ is concerned we have this very unique situation, a small group that has exploded in size do to the Fly-In. It's become the biggest aviation show in the world and that wasn't the objective of the founder back in the 1950's.

EAA and aviation in general is facing the impacts of "globalization" and rapid technology advances like this "blog". Change is one of the most difficult challenges facing management in any organization, people resist change. So we have 4 pages and counting of people venting their frustrations. This is a normal reaction to yet another change. EAA has a huge membership and it's doubtful that any "leader" will be able to make everyone happy. Let's look at the future of GA and EAA and accept the fact that "growth" will be slow at best in the USA. We have shipped a huge piece of our economy overseas and we're struggling with the impact of that fact along with finding a way forward. No Politics here Please! We've had a lot of blogging on that subject and it's clear we are divided into camps. The impact of division is not helpful in finding solutions.

Here's one of many future outcomes. Aviation and EAA focus globally and recognize that China wants to expand it's aviation community to include GA. That is already happening on the business side, EAA could try to establish grassroots chapters in Asia. Maybe we could have "sister' chapters, the internet would allow all kinds of international contact and it fits with EAA HQ leadership. I'm sure the CEO of Cessna will have something to say about that possibility. Another outcome will be yet another survey of the membership which will yield the same results, everybody shouting "my way or the highway".

OK Rick, moving to Springfield would be Great! I could attend AirVenture every year and it would be a day trip from Sidney. I had about 12 years of that when I lived in Hartland, WI and drove to OSH! The facilities at HQ are wonderful, and if your close you can really use it's resources.

Joe

EAA is not just home builds. But there needs to be limits. I would say EAA should restrict to the interests of experimenters, home builders, kit builders, older airplane restorers, warbirds restorers and even people that experiment with turboprops.
    In other words "mechanic types."

EAA should never cater to factory new turboprops ( see recent $900,000 turboprop article, for example) or factory new airplanes of any kind. New airplanes don't need experimentation or restoration.
    It is a conflict of interest for EAA to associate with commercial aircraft companies as other magazines do, and that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    EAA is not just home builds. But there needs to be limits. I would say EAA should restrict to the interests of experimenters, home builders, kit builders, older airplane restorers, warbirds restorers and even people that experiment with turboprops.
    In other words "mechanic types."

EAA should never cater to factory new turboprops ( see recent $900,000 turboprop article, for example) or factory new airplanes of any kind. New airplanes don't need experimentation or restoration.
    It is a conflict of interest for EAA to associate with commercial aircraft companies as other magazines do, and that is the problem.
    So you want to throw the money out that supports the organization thru advertising and other mean. How do you propose to run the organization then.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

I have been an EAA member for around 25-years, and will likely continue that no matter what happens with the coming changes.
    My regret is that, like other large organizations, money is a pressing problem always. I belong to AOPA and AARP, and those organizations also are always pressing for money. In their web sites and their publications EAA, AOPA, and AARP are loaded with credit card offers, wine clubs, watches, and other stuff all designed to produce income. I guess its necessary in a way, but the emphasis moves toward making money instead of the fundamental purpose of the organization. Current economic conditions may make this necessary, but it is a sorry thing in my view. I am dropping AARP after getting over a 230% increase in homeowners insurance from an AARP 'pushed' insurance company. I am also watching AOPA and may drop them unless some changes in their organization is made...its a tough world !

I think you'll find that Rod had a lot of animosity from not just the homebuilders, but also vintage, IAC, ultralights, (can't vouch for wardbirds). Perhaps some of it is deserved, and some of it just because he's in charge when things are going bad (sort of like blaming Obama for everything that's wrong in the country).

As for direction, long before Hightower showed up the EAA was "Sport Aviation" not "Experimental Aviation" and it's been a delicate balance between the various aspects. However, I agree, not all PERSONAL aviation is sport any more than my Toyota is a racecar, a classic car, a custom car, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    So you want to throw the money out that supports the organization thru advertising and other mean. How do you propose to run the organization then.
    Ugh..... This is becoming more like the presidential debates with every posting. People arguing over their personal assumptions with the benefit of knowing all the facts.

A fair number of members want Sport Aviation articles to return to a previous era in support of a more grassroots type of aviation. I'm all in favor of that. This doesn't exclude vintage aircraft from the major manufacturers. I personally don't believe that will alienate any of the major sponsors. If they want to purchase a full page add for their latest business jet let them. Sooner or later there marketing staff will realize that isn't the best bang for their buck and move on. Let the content be driven by the organization's key mission. I don't think advertisements in Sports Aviation is a major funding source for the EAA. I would be surprized if it actually offsets printing and mailing costs.

Also, nobody has mentioned anything about limiting the participation of the major aircraft companies displays that are west of Phillips Conoco Square. I personally have no issue with them displaying their latest wares. I think if they are kept separate in that area, then you aren't going to get complaints from most vendors. It was only when the real estate between the taxi way and the runway was taken over, that members became agitated. The chalets may be a necessary evil, but more though probably needs to be put into their location.

I also don't have any problems with jewelers, mattress companies, cookware, etc types at Airventure. Just keep them in the Fly-Mart and out of the major exhibit buildings. The economy is tough everywehere. We need to keep costs inline to attact the maximum amount of vendors to show off their wares. I know of several major players in the homebuilt market that can't afford booth space. What a pity that is. If we have to trade off the air conditioned portable toilets or some other luxory item to keep expenses down, then let's do that. We can't continue to operate like the federal government and spend to a point in which members can't afford to participate.

I am aslo hopeful that the Board insists on more volunteer member participation in planning Airventure and other EAA activities. I think the lesson was learned this past year the impact of attempting to dictate change without consenus. I for one, am willing to volunteer my time to assist in the rebuilding wherever I can or am needed.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I have to jump in here.
    I like EAA the way it is, have ever since I joined back in the 70's.
    I like the articles about putting a new panel in an Aztec, or about a Pietenpol, or about Glacier Girl, it's the diversity. Is a 1.2 million dollar Evolution a "homebuilt"? Probably not but I sure like to read about it and dream about it.

I'm disappointed the Managment didn't have a proper succession plan in place. A squadron leaders first job on taking over is to groom his successor.
    When I read Mr Hightowers resignation this morning my first thought was "oh no, here we go".
    This is not why I joined EAA, it's about airplanes.
    Despite, I will not cancel my membership. You only have credibility when your inside.

Ray

I wish Mr Hightower good luck in his future, and I thank him for his service to the E.A.A. I'm sure it took some sacrifices.

That said, I like airplanes and flying, and now after 20 years of being an E.A.A. member, building. I get satisfaction from belonging to this group and reading the magazine and attending the big show, and chapter meetings.

This new development doesn't change that.

Curt
    plans building a Sonex!!

Quote Originally Posted by nfdlpilot View Post
    I wish Mr Hightower good luck in his future, and I thank him for his service to the E.A.A. I'm sure it took some sacrifices.

That said, I like airplanes and flying, and now after 20 years of being an E.A.A. member, building. I get satisfaction from belonging to this group and reading the magazine and attending the big show, and chapter meetings.

This new development doesn't change that.
    I agree on ALL accounts.

I am anticipating my next magazine as much as ever, and anticipating the next AirVenture as much as ever.

Here's hoping for a smooth transition to new leadership.

In all this mishmash of opinions, let's not forget the EAA employees, who have been battered by layoffs and now the uncertainty of the (perhaps) unanticipated transition to new leadership after only a couple of years to adjust to the just departed leadership. They have done a commendable job of keeping EAA going throughout all of this. I think we need to express our appreciation, as EAA members, for their perseverance through these hard times and the excellent job they have done in keeping EAA a responsive organization, open to all interested parties, during this time.

Thanks for all you have done.
    Bill