Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    So the simple act of not having an experimental plane or building one should exclude us from the EAA then, is what I'm reading between the lines.
    Not sure what lines you are reading between but nowhere does EAA say they are limited to homebuilts. It's about grassroots aviation. Recently, it's been less about grassroots aviation and more about elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Not sure what lines you are reading between but nowhere does EAA say they are limited to homebuilts. It's about grassroots aviation. Recently, it's been less about grassroots aviation and more about elitist.
    First, all the people complain about certified stuff being here and there, and the high dollar contributors getting better perks. Then they go off about how EAA should go back to its roots, which is homebuilts. I think people forget that it takes money to run an organization, and if big sponsors get some perks to go along with large contributions, so be it. That's the way the world works. Aviation an elitist community. The idea that everyone can afford to fly and own an airplane is absurd. Its a middle to upper class activity. Always has been, always will be.

I see EAA at a crossroads, they can either do what they need to do to survive and potentially thrive. Or they can appease the old timers who want to go back to the "grass roots" of experimental, and let the organization die with the old timers. Which is it going to be?
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

I see EAA at a crossroads, they can either do what they need to do to survive and potentially thrive. Or they can appease the old timers who want to go back to the "grass roots" of experimental, and let the organization die with the old timers. Which is it going to be?
    An example of Aristotelian logic at its worst. There are an infinite number of possibilities, each with its own probability, not two.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    An example of Aristotelian logic at its worst. There are an infinite number of possibilities, each with its own probability, not two.
    Not the way I see it. Young people simply don't get into flying, unless they do it for a career. Those who do it for a career generally don't want anything to do with GA, much less the EAA types. So, how do you propose keeping the organization alive, as the old timers pass on, with no new blood? Have to do something to get new, younger types involved and I feel that's the direction Hightower was going.
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

So the simple act of not having an experimental plane or building one should exclude us from the EAA then, is what I'm reading between the lines. That's the number one reason I feel like EAA is trying to alienate a big portion of people, and a reason I'll have to strongly think about before renewing this winter.
    If I believed that, I would be guilty of the same logic Mr. Hightower used. Don't read between the lines. I have no criteria except that EAA management listen to the membership not the elitists.

Have to do something to get new, younger types involved and I feel that's the direction Hightower was going.
    How many younger types joined EAA in the last year as a result of the new "direction?"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeno View Post
    If I believed that, I would be guilty of the same logic Mr. Hightower used. Don't read between the lines. I have no criteria except that EAA management listen to the membership not the elitists.

Ok, got it. Listen to the people who don't contribute much money to run the organization. Seems like to be, we would be in the same spot, if they raised the dues to truly cover the cost of running the whole organization, rather than giving a little bit to the "elitists"

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    How many younger types joined EAA in the last year as a result of the new "direction?"
    Couldn't tell you, and now we won't since it appears they want to change direction.

Long and short, EAA needs to pick a direction to go and stay with it. Hopefully, they do that quickly, so I know if I want to spend the money to remain part of an organization that may or may not want to include me.
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

Don't get spooled up Cessna! EAA is for everyone and that won't change! No matter what anyone says!

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    Don't get spooled up Cessna! EAA is for everyone and that won't change! No matter what anyone says!
    But its not, as it looks that everyone wants to chase the "elitists" out, not that I'm not sure who they are. I would say that by definition, anyone who flies is an elitist.
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

Don't worry my friend! It will be ok!