Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    So, I guess the question becomes, are you willing to give a little to corporations so that the organization receives sizable contributions to the bottom line, or kick that type of thing out and not have the money to keep EAA alive?
    My point is we need everybody! I liken our organization to a chair we all sit on. If you remove any leg it will fall. Just think about it ! We have gone to far a a organization to revert to a EAA Rockford event. It just isn't going to happen. What we need to do is find a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    The EAA has been alive for some time now, but the quest for more money invariably leads to the disenfranchisement of the membership.
    I think if you were to go digging through the records that there's been corporate sponsors since at least the time they moved the offices out of Paul's residence. However, I do agree that the quest solely for funding usually ends up ticking people off. That doesn't seem to be the case here or as lawyers like to say "assumes facts not in evidence".
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Perhaps, but the assumption that the EAA needs more and more corporate sponsorship just to survive is indicative of very serious problems.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Perhaps, but the assumption that the EAA needs more and more corporate sponsorship just to survive is indicative of very serious problems.
    Well, if you want to grow/expand programs that do further the EAA's mission (like Young Eagles and the very important political advocacy they do for us, etc), the choice is hiking membership dues or going towards commercial sponsorship which I don't see as having changed the EAA that much. Either way, the same folks are going to gripe and they are going to gripe loudly.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 10-30-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Darn you auto-correct....
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Well, if you want to grow/expand programs that do further the EAA's mission (like Young Eagles and the very important political advocacy they do for us, etc), the choice is hiking membership dues or going towards commercial sponsorship which I don't see as having changed the EAA that much. Either way, the same folks are going to gripe and they are going to gripe loudly.
    Young eagles? Other than insurance (which is a secondary policy AFTER the pilot's own policy), what real expenses does the YE program incur? A template of a form on the website? Someone at HQ to tally the forms once they are mailed in? It can't be much... The members who give YE rides are the ones footing the real bill...

Notthat we necessarily need to use the affairs of business as a modelbut I know of several companies that have been severely challenged asthey transitioned from the vision of the founder to that of thesecond generation. I think the folks who are trying to guide the EAAdeserve some credit for listening as we evolve through that stage.And we need to know that these forums are where we exchange ideas butalso where the leadership can sample the attitudes and reactions ofmembers.

Iwould suggest maybe that there should less black and white and morerespectful acceptance of the wonderful range of our goals foraviation and the EAA. I can't quit because I don't particularly likethe fact that our dues support a segment of aviation in which I can'tparticipate. I need to stick around and make my opinion heard. Isthere another choice?

Wemust all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”
    The journey is the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by prasmussen View Post
    Not that we necessarily need to use the affairs of business as a model but I know of several companies that have been severely challenged asthey transitioned from the vision of the founder to that of thesecond generation. I think the folks who are trying to guide the EAA deserve some credit for listening as we evolve through that stage.And we need to know that these forums are where we exchange ideas butalso where the leadership can sample the attitudes and reactions ofmembers.
    Exactly! Apple is a great current example.