Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

If you go to the Oshkosh Northwestern at http://www.thenorthwestern.com/artic...nclick_check=1, there's a more complete article on Hightower's departure and comments by John Monnett and Mac McClelland on the whys and wherefores of his departure.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Guys - no personal attacks. There's no reason this can't stay civil.
    If Mr Hightower had followed this advice, he would still have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    comments by John Monnett and Mac McClelland on the whys and wherefores of his departure.
    Interestingly, Mac claims it was a residency requirement, where Monnett says it was the change in direction.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Interestingly, Mac claims it was a residency requirement, where Monnett says it was the change in direction.
    I have friends who HAVE to live in St Louis to keep a job in their chosen field (engineers & management at a major aviation company). They would leave the really pitiful St Louis area schools & take their families to Oshkosh right away if there was a job there for them.

I agree with John Monnetts comments.
    The question is:
    Why is Mac " I only fly IFR" McClelland left to run EAA?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Just to be extra-clear, Mac is not running EAA. Jack Pelton was elected recently as our new Chairman of the Board, and he has stepped in to act as an interim leader during this transition phase. Mac remains the VP of Publications, and is a member of our senior leadership team along with people like Chad, Sean Elliott, etc.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

As background, I've been an EAA member for 40 years. I'm a Century Club member and Lifetime member.

I have met and talked to Rod several times and believe he did what he considered to be in the best interests with regard to EAA. As with every high level management turnover in an organization, there will be changes; if nothing else due to fresh eyes seeing problems that were missed before. "Flattening" an organizational structure is a time honored corporate technique, and yes, some times that means people are let go particularly if the last organizational change was 30 years ago. When Rod's replacement comes in, everyone should expect similar realignments/changes.

With the pilot population declining and at least maintaining EAA membership numbers a major goal, I think Rod was attempting to broaden the interest base to include more of the current and future pilot population. For evidence look at the current version of "Sport Aviation." The current style is the same as "Flying" and AOPA's "Pilot." A laudable goal in my opinion, although I must admit I really dislike the current "Sport Aviation" style and McClellan's column content is generally a waste of valuable printing space.

I've often wondered were EAA was headed when Tom Poberezny was in charge. Rod's "Sport Aviation" October article (page 72) is the first time I recall having seen the strategic plan and such financial information for EAA. This great article is strictly the result of Rod's corporate background in my opinion. I suggest everyone re-read it because it still outlines what EAA is all about and where we need to go.

My very best wishes to Rod and his family.

Pat Donovan
    Chapter 186 and 1387
    Comanche owner
    RV-9 builder

They could have at least tried a different excuse than "I need to spend more time with my family". That one's been a bit overplayed. Maybe Mac can spend more time with his family too? As much as we love reading about IFR procedures in a Baron in a magazine called "Sport Aviation" and all......
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    They could have at least tried a different excuse than "I need to spend more time with my family". That one's been a bit overplayed. snip
    Don't discount that too much, Ryan; family pressure can exert a HUGE impact to an executive's performance. With all of the stuff going on in today's world, disrupting HS-aged kids *is* a very big deal. Yeah, yeah, he shoulda/coulda figured that out *before* he took the position, but sometimes the family can be a big cheerleader on a moment's notice, clouding the picture.

Someone else said that the Monday departure was telling. Well, I just figured that he returned after a very good and/or very sobering weekend with the fam and decided that he really *did* need to remain in St Louis.

I speak from personal experience. I grew up without a dad. I resented both of my folks for that. As a result, I committed that I would be there for my two sons. I was there for just about every school function, and coached both of their sports teams. When I took a higher-paying job in 1997 that involved a longer commute, I figured it would still be worth it. I lasted 6 months when I realized that I was now missing their games and functions. I took a 25% pay cut, but was there for them during their early teen years - vitally important. I guess I did OK, since one is now an ATC Center controller, and the other flies for United Express.

Just saying that family influence cannot be discounted. I don't know if this is the real reason or not for Rod's departure. Until a BoD member chimes in here (doubtful), let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Pat (above) said it all very nicely.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

C'mon, Carl!

I agree that "family issues" are important to all of us. But making children change schools is not a large family issue . . . From kindergarten through high school, I attended 8 schools in four states, none closer than 300 miles to the previous one. Most moves were during summer vacation, but I did move in the middle of the year twice. Three high schools, too; leaving after being on the Class A State Champion football team was not fun, especially when the next team went 0-5 and cancelled the rest of my senior season due to excessive injuries, but hey, it's only high school. Dad got a promotion; they offered to let me stay behind and finish, living with a classmate, but they're my family and I went with them. The senior year is not the right time to be parentless.

Now I'm off to read the gossip rag that Bill kindly left a link to.

As a new EAA member, I'm not up on all the behind-the-scenes politics; I joined mostly to give Young Eagles rides and interest the next generation of pilots. Tornado-and-Fun last year was good, but I didn't join until afterwards. Maybe some day I'll make it to Oshkosh . . .

As much as I hate office politics, to me this looks like office politics writ large.
    Last edited by Hank; 10-24-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    — Hank
    1970 M20-C