Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hightower Resigns as EAA President/CEO

I see this as a forced removal, by the ever deafing roar of the few who think EAA should be nothing other than ragwing, wood or metal framed homebuilts with engine horsepower ratings below that of a decent motorcycle.
    Fixed it for you.

And if that's the case, I may elect to not renew my membership.

I am very afraid that this may very well be a move by that vocal minority of older members who are just trying to get the 'kids' off what they perceive to be their 'lawn'

I'm disappointed to see him go, it seems like he was doing a good job at increasing the income for the organization and putting it on a path to continued expansion in GA in general, rather than sitting in a niche corner that will continue to decline as the population gets older.
    Exactly, but you forget the purpose of the EAA is not to advocate for aviation or even homebuilt aircraft but to keep folks fixated on certain parts of the hobby. Or at least that is what the attitude of that vocal group seems to be.

"Infirm of purpose!' to quote Shakespeare, if Hightower departed for the stated reasons. Its incredibly hard to believe that a successful businessman would undertake such a change as the move to Oshkosh, which is a delightful town, without the support of his family. If he did, then it calls his judgement and common sense into question.
    Things change. I once gave up a position very important to me to return to my hometown because of family commitments (taking care of my dying grandfather).

I also have a hard time believing that the "roar of the few" stampeded the EAA board into booting him. We'll probably never know the real reason for his departure
    All it takes is one rich or politically connected person roaring while wielding his wallet.

I've been very impressed by Pelton
    What's so impressive about him? I've never met the guy and the only thing I know is that he used to be the CEO of Cessna.

It's about grassroots aviation. Recently, it's been less about grassroots aviation and more about elitist.
    What exactly is this "grassroots aviation" I keep hearing about? Talk about a poorly defined term. Ask ten people and get ten different answers.

But its not, as it looks that everyone wants to chase the "elitists" out, not that I'm not sure who they are. I would say that by definition, anyone who flies is an elitist.
    I would agree with both of those statements.

Are they going to chase themselves out? By your definition, "everyone" is a member of the "elitist" set. If they chase them out, the result is the null set.
    The problem is that the true and dangerous elitists are the ones who think only their kind of airplanes are "real" and belong at Oshkosh. I may not have an interest in the grass field based high-wing ragwings nor have the desire to fly just for "the sake of flying", but they have their place just like the "point A to B" traveling aircraft that attract my interest. The issue is not what someone chooses to fly or where that places them in someone's artificial hierarchy but rather the fact that some of us have forgotten that we are all airplane geeks and part of a fraternity that should transcend stupid genitalia surrogate measuring contests.

Our founder did more to define our mission years ago when he said "We're not about airplanes, we're about people". Our chapter uses that as our motto just to remind us we're a social organization whose members share an interest in all things aviation.
    Exactly. He also has said that there is room enough for anyone in the EAA.

EAA should never cater to factory new turboprops ( see recent $900,000 turboprop article, for example) or factory new airplanes of any kind. New airplanes don't need experimentation or restoration.
    It is a conflict of interest for EAA to associate with commercial aircraft companies as other magazines do, and that is the problem.
    I don't see it as a conflict of interest anymore than letting Van or the folks from Lancair speak at Oshkosh. They build good airplanes but are not much more than factory built aircraft with multiple final assembly plants.

Why is Mac " I only fly IFR" McClelland left to run EAA?
    What's wrong with flying IFR?

I've often wondered were EAA was headed when Tom Poberezny was in charge.
    Same here. The only reason his leadership wasn't more widely questioned is because of who his dad is. No one wants to dare sully the Poberezny name.

They could have at least tried a different excuse than "I need to spend more time with my family". That one's been a bit overplayed.
    If I didn't need to work, I would tell my boss to shove it and never do anything but enjoy life and spend time with those I care about. And this is coming from someone who is more or less self-employed!

I am of the opinion- right or wrong- that most of the members of this forum are here simply to gripe and they wouldn't be happy or satisfied with the "direction" of EAA even if Paul tapped them to be the next leader.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Higher Education Credentials? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I say let's give the guy a chance. He's had decades of experience in aviation and wasn't voted in as EAA Chairman of the Board or temporary CEO because of his degrees or lack thereof. He earned the position through a lengthy, successful career. I've never met him, but I have spoken to people who know him first hand and who believe he will be an excellent fit for EAA. I hope they are right.
    <Edited presidential comment>Was the same amount of scrutiny provided for Mr. Hightower's educational background? I don't personally see the point about Mr. Pelton's degree's now that the man is retired from Cessna. He did very well for his stakeholders before and this isn't to say he won't do it again for us members of the EAA.
    Last edited by Chad Jensen; 10-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    In all this mishmash of opinions, let's not forget the EAA employees, who have been battered by layoffs and now the uncertainty of the (perhaps) unanticipated transition to new leadership after only a couple of years to adjust to the just departed leadership. They have done a commendable job of keeping EAA going throughout all of this. I think we need to express our appreciation, as EAA members, for their perseverance through these hard times and the excellent job they have done in keeping EAA a responsive organization, open to all interested parties, during this time.

Thanks for all you have done.
    Excellent Bill and I would certainly agree with your observations as a whole. I will share that Chad and Hal have been in the middle of the firestorm for a long time. These gentleman both need a huge pat on the back and a beer at the beer tent at AV 2013.

Everyone must have felt the changes at 'Ariventure' since the start of the Hightower era. It became more of an military airshow and a commercial event. Hightower even said he wanted to, turn Oshkosh into the worlds leading airshow. As a 'humble' GA pilot, I felt more and more marginalized. The EAA is an orginization of passionate pilots and chapters, building small aircraft in their workshops. We don't fly P51s, we don't buy jets. We fly what we build or single engine Cessna's and Pipers...let's get back to our roots, support the average GA pilot and forget making 'Airventure' a corporate / military airshow. There are plenty of those in the world. EAA is unique, with its membership of private pilots. Let's celebrate, respect and involve them more in the organization. We need a new president who understands its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Spending time with family was the excuse the ousted CEO at my previous company used when he was fired. It's industry speak for "I got canned and wish to make a graceful exit".
    Yep, that does make the red flags wave. However, Mac's article does put a bit of additional light on it. Apparently, one of the conditions of the Board of Directors offering Hightower the job was for him to move to Oshkosh. This apparently didn't happen. It may be that the board was unhappy with him for other reasons, and the failure to move was just a convenient justification that let both side save face (and EAA avoid a lawsuit).

I met Hightower a couple of times on visits to Oshkosh, including right after he got the job. While I agree with many of those who criticize the direction the organization went under his leadership, my conversations with him seemed to indicate that he was *not* ignoring the homebuilt side. He was very concerned about how the homebuilt accident rate was being perceived by the FAA, and what EAA could do to counter unnecessary FAA action.

Probably the biggest thing against him was the spelling of his last name: It's not spelled, "Poberezny." Fifty years of leadership by a family dynasty is hard to overcome. Paul and Tom grew with the organization, it is a very strong reflection of their personalities. The organization structure reflected what they felt were important. Plus, they themselves grew as the organization did, and had their opportunities to make mistakes while the operation was still small.

Like it or not, EAA is now a fairly large corporation. You *can't* just promote the president of EAA Chapter 9507 to the top job; you need someone with experience in managing a multi-million dollar concern. The qualification includes organizational and political skills. Rod Hightower was a good choice, from that point of view. But his vision for the corporation didn't match the way an increasingly large number of people wanted it to go. Hightower was a new broom, and those comfortable with the old regime found him a bit scratchy.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post

What's wrong with flying IFR?

Nothing wrong with IFR other than it is not sport flying.
    But Steve, Mac brags that he ONLY flies IFR.
    Hardly optimal that a sport aviation association of members has him writing and blogging ONLY about IFR.

No need to say more Steve, we have debated this enough.

I find it interesting that most here are ok with Pelton as interim CEO, but we're not happy with Hightower taking the organization towards more GA orientation. What are Pelton's experimental or home built background?

People complain about the changes being made to include more jet and rich aviation at EAA. Wasn't that Pelton's background at Cessna?

Hightower spent the first 6 months visiting the chapters and listening.

Given how the NTSB and FAA have their sights on A/B, the next CEO should have experience in government relations. EAA has one person in DC. It will take far more resources to repell the attack.

Good luck Pelton. Hope he communicates with the chapters quickly and keeps open communications. Especially two way.

I need a fact adjustment. I thought Mr. Pelton is the delegate from the board of directors nominated to replace and fill-in temporarily as Hightower's replacement until such time as a new permanent CEO of the organization is put into the chair? No? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
    I need a fact adjustment. I thought Mr. Pelton is the delegate from the board of directors nominated to replace and fill-in temporarily as Hightower's replacement until such time as a new permanent CEO of the organization is put into the chair? No? Thanks.
    October 24, 2012 - The EAA board of directors created a new chairman of the board position and on Sunday elected Jack Pelton to fill that role. Jack is the first formally elected non-executive chairman in the history of EAA.

The chairman's term is three years with the board's option to reelect the person for a second three-year term. Six years is the maximum any one person can serve as chair.

Jack is also acting as president and CEO of EAA while a replacement for Rod Hightower is found. Hightower resigned that position on Monday.

Jack is the retired chairman, president, and CEO of Cessna Aircraft. He is a lifelong EAAer with extensive flying experience in all types of airplanes from experimentals to warbirds to business jets.

Jack grew up in an aviation family in Southern California. His father, who flew in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II, was active in EAA Chapter 1 at Flabob Airport in Riverside, California. Among the airplanes his family owned was a Cessna 140A, the final version of the popular taildragger that had the single strut and tapered wing. Jack's mother was also a certificated pilot.

Jack began his aviation career at Douglas Aircraft. At Cessna he quickly rose from the head of engineering to the top job.

Jack and his wife, Rose, live in Wichita, Kansas, and have their hangar at Stearman Field on the northeast side of town. In that hangar is a Ryan PT-22, the airplane Jack's dad learned to fly in. The Peltons also own and restored a Cessna 195 that once belonged to Duane Wallace, the nephew of Clyde Cessna, who built the company into the largest producer of general aviation airplanes in the world.

Jack also owns and flies a Stearman and has a turbo Cessna 206 for traveling. Rose is learning to fly in the couple's Cessna 162 Skycatcher LSA.

In his interim role as president and CEO of EAA, Jack will be spending time in Oshkosh ensuring a smooth transition to the new leadership. The EAA board of directors has set no timetable for hiring the new CEO.

"I have committed my time to help ensure a smooth and effective leadership transition, no matter how long it takes to find the right person," Jack said. "EAA is very important to me, and its success is vital to all of personal aviation. I am fortunate to have the time in retirement to help out and I am happy to do my part."

He also built a Fisher FP-101 as a youngster with his dad.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575