Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buried Spitfires Update

Thanks for the update. This is fun to follow, regardless of what happens.

Looks like David Cundall and his team left this weekend to start getting to work. Even if they don't find anything...this is still very interesting....bring it on!

The excavation team is now in Burma and the dig should be starting shortly. A BBC update here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20925300

You're absolutely right Thomas, this is an interesting story to follow regardless of the outcome!

Just saw on the news where a Spitfire had a gear collapse on landing at East Midlands Airport in central England. Maybe it might be better if they shipped all of them over here to the USA...you know...for proper handling and safe keeping! Just kidding!!! I'm sure if any are found, a few of them will probably end up on this side of the pond eventually.

Last edited by Thomas Brown; 01-09-2013 at 06:45 AM.

My mind doubts that there really are complete Spitfires down there.

But my heart tells me that I hope they are. I don't know David Cundall, but have a friend who vouches for him. I do know Peter Arnold, and if he says they are there it is good enough for me.
    I wish I could be over there for the next week or so.
    Good luck to all.

No Spitfires Found

An article on BBC News today reports that the archaeologists digging for buried Spitfires in Burma over the past week have concluded that there are no buried planes. Wargaming.net, which sponsored the dig, has said the same thing.

David Cundall still believes in the buried planes, but has only eyewitness reports from long ago to go on with no physical evidence to corroborate those reports.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-18-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Bill

Disappointing, though I always had the feeling it was a long shot.

Humanity has been searching for buried "treasure" since time began....
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Banned
    Too bad, so sad. Many of us so wanted him to find them. Hopefully the group won't give up....perhaps just a few feet in another direction. Nobody found the Titanic the first time looking!

If the story seems too good to be true it probably isn't .
    Other sites are reporting that the dig found no Spitfires, only some old non airplane part metal.

I never believed they were there, it was not logical, but still had hope.