Thread: Layout/engine mount connections for TIO-540-AE2A or TIO-540-W2A

Layout/engine mount connections for TIO-540-AE2A or TIO-540-W2A

In trying to design the engine mount and cowling of the Praetorian, I kind of need a three-view design of the engine I am intending on using. I keep getting bounced back and forth between Lycoming and their distributors (each refers me to the other). Neither seems to want to provide the information I need. Can anyone help? Suggestions?

My only other thought would be to start contacting the owners of local aircraft fitted with these engines (like the Piper Malibu Mirage) which I really don't want to do. I just don't think I would get very far by asking folks "Hey would you mind popping the cowling on your plane so I can take a tape measure to your engine?"
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Lycoming has installation drawings for most of their engines available through their publications department. Try calling them at 570-327-7274 and ask them if installation drawings are available for your engine. You may just be asking the wrong questions.

If you have not made the acquaintance of the mechanics around your local airport, or of the folks in your EAA chapter, this is the perfect opportunity. I would wander into a shop that has an uncowled engine of the type that you are interested in and ask that exact question. You will likely find the mechanic or tech intrigued or amused by your interest and willing to let you stick your tape measure where you need to. Plus you get a little social connection going. This requires that you invest time, but I never find that time wasted.

I make a point of poking around the local shops to see what interesting airplanes are in or what work is going on. Learn all kinds of stuff. My mechanic friends are happy to share the stupid things, problems, or issues that they have in front of them. Most are happy to have someone take an interest in the work and knowledge. In return for their insight on what works and what doesn't in the real world, I try to remember to drop off my Sport Aviation magazines after I have read through them. They pass them around and we all win.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Steve,
    I doubt that I can really be of much help to you, but I just mounted my IO-540-C4B5 on my RV-10. I don't know if the physical dimensions and mounting points are the same, but if they are and there's any measurements that would be applicable, I'd be glad to take them for you.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!