Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding chomoly tubing

Welding chomoly tubing

What type rod do you use when welding chomoly tubing?

Quote Originally Posted by candgp View Post
    What type rod do you use when welding chomoly tubing?
    For Oxy/Acy and TIG on new metal, ER70S-2

If you are doing a repair and the metal may be rusty or have other impurities, ER70S-6

Thank you, this is for a repair and will be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    For Oxy/Acy and TIG on new metal, ER70S-2

If you are doing a repair and the metal may be rusty or have other impurities, ER70S-6
    Actually I would NOT suggest ER series fillers for OA welding. Many of the alloying elements in the ER fillers are un-needed in the OA process and just lead to excess sparking etc.

RG-45,60 or 65 are suggested to be based on joint configuration, material thicknesses and heat treatment if the OA process is used. ER70 series are suggested for the TIG process.

RG-45 for sure. Don't waste your time with electric rod for O/A. Been there done that.
    Bugs
    EAA 459462
    www.supercubproject.com

Hey, what keeps us from brazing things together with one of the high strength brazing alloys? Race car person said braze joints were more flexible and resistant to cracking. And those joints have to be lot easier to get right. Tack-weld the frame together then braze over that for the best of both? Just a thought. Guess that's why Young Eagles run away when I offer them a ride?
    The journey is the reward.

I don't know of any sanctioning body that allows brazed joints on a race car chassis.

Mike,
    Indeed in europe filelt brazed chassis components are not uncommon for race vehicles. However.....it is more difficult to produce an acceptable fillet braze than fillet weld. Fitment is also more critical with a braze. In the racing world it is done mainly for ease of field repair. If you are building an experimental you are free to use bubblegum if you wish, but somehow I dont see the thrill in bucking engineering and time tested methods when there is no performance gain. If you want to be a "cowboy" and do things "different" for the sake of being cheap or eccentric....please dont fly over my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Mike,
    Indeed in europe filelt brazed chassis components are not uncommon for race vehicles.
    Interesting. I will re-phrase my statement to say i don't know of any sanctioning body in this country that would allow it.

Personally, if I have to fire up the torch anyway I would rather weld it.

I think the last time i brazed anything was several years ago when I needed to weld a piece of 1/8" pipe to a radiator cap so i could pressurize a block to find a crack. I melted down one cap so i ended up brazing it, (it only had to hold 16psi)
    Last edited by Mike Switzer; 10-22-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Mike,
    If you want to be a "cowboy" and do things "different" for the sake of being cheap or eccentric....please dont fly over my house.
    Easy son, those of us from Montana are rather fond of our cowboy heritage.
    The journey is the reward.