Thread: fuel level sender for super cub replica wing tank

fuel level sender for super cub replica wing tank

I am building a super cub replica and using Piper wing tanks. These are flat tanks with an electric fuel level sending device opening on the upper 1/2 of the inboard end. The tank does not have an opening (other than the filler neck) on the top side.
    Piper used a fuel level device (#751767) in this style of tank in PA-18 and PA-22 (tri pacer) to name a few applications.
    I am looking for ideas that are more economical and more reliable from the automotive arena.
    The closest thing I see in catalogs but have not handled is a Stewart Warner 385 B or C.
    I am assuming that I am not the first to pose this question and appreciate suggestions and ideas.
    Tim McDermott
    ednatim@sdplains.com
    Thank you.

These guys may have someting

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

A lot of the street rods have custom tanks.

Get rid of the electric stuff and weld on bungs for sight gauges. I have never seen a Cub with electric fuel gauges. Not that it cannot be done but the sight gauges have worked for decades.
    Bugs
    EAA 459462
    www.supercubproject.com

Fuel Gauge

[QUOTE=Bugs66;23519]Get rid of the electric stuff and weld on bungs for sight gauges. I have never seen a Cub with electric fuel gauges. Not that it cannot be done but the sight gauges have worked for decades.[/QUOTE

Why not put in a gauge like the older Cessna 120's, 140's, 170's and early 180's had? They are simple and non-electric. That's what I would be inclined to do if I didn't want to weld bungs for sight gauges.