Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
While $1,325 a month sounds reasonable to you, to most people it doesn't. Around here that is a mortgage payment for a small to mid size house. If you tell someone you are paying the same to own and fly a plane as you are to own a house it doesn't sound very affordable to them.

There is no doubt that it can be done. You just have to decide where you would rather spend your money. It is just that most people don't want to give up the expensive cable package, cell phone, and eating out in order to go flying 2 to 3 hours per month.

Keith
I can certainly understand that and I think this is where pairing up with one or two other like-minded people could be a great way to get it done. I know AOPA is working on some programs to try and connect pilots (or prospective pilots) with each other to achieve these types of relationships. I think this is also where joining an EAA local chapter can be beneficial.

Additionally, I bought a pretty trick aircraft. You could easily halve the payment (or eliminate it entirely) by buying a TriPacer in the $25K range. The $250/month for annual is also a bit high for a TriPacer. Most of my fellow TriPacer owners get by at about $1000/yr. I just budget $3k to be safe in case I want to upgrade something. My insurance is also higher than most because of the high hull value. And fuel is based on 100 hrs/yr. So, if we cut a lot of that down, you could do it for around $950/month which is certainly reasonable, especially if you don't have a car payment or kids.

As you mentioned, the cable, mobile, and eating out are all places where we toss money. There are many others as well. As you say, it all comes down to priorities. If you really want to fly, you can do it. I know plenty of middle class people who spend $1K a month on hunting/fishing/etc. gear and trips. It all comes down to what you want to do with your time and we certainly can't do it all. One thing I think everyone in our nation would benefit from is a budget analysis to really see where their cash is going. Keep a journal for 3-6 months of everything you spend money on and see where your money is going. It can be very eye-opening.

- Dave -