Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the young pilots?

In the late 1970s I was renting a C-150 for $15 and a Stearman for $50 (as a broke college student I didn't fly the Stearman much)... now my $2500 ultralight with its 3.3gph auto gas appetite makes me smile as I listen to my friends talk about the cost of avgas and their multi thousand dollar annuals...

I see the rental prices on your side of the pond and don't know whether to laugh or cry, or move to the US. When I learnt to fly in 1976 a C-150 was £14.50 ($23) per hour and a de Havilland Tiger Moth was £16.50 ($26.50). A PA-28 is now between £165 and £205 ($265 to $330, roughly) and a Tiger Moth £250 ($400). With these rates, and with the UK and Europe in deep recession, I am constantly surprised, but cheered, by the number of people, and particularly those in their 20s, from all kinds of different backgrounds, learning to fly.
    Jeremy Leasor

I agree, Hanger10! Make your plans and work them. I took my first GA flight when I was 16, with my newly licensed 17 old brother as PIC. I was only a passenger in the back of a PA 28-180 but I knew then I wanted to learn to fly. In 1982 I thought we (my husband and I) were finally going to make the plunge because we were financially able, but life has a strange way of changing those plans, so when our General Contractor for our new restaurant was killed, taking his 5 passengers with him, in his twin Beech, it sort of stopped us in our tracks, not because our business wasn't being built. It was built and our business life didn't change an iota. But my "scare" factor was elevated to Red Alert. We had young children and I knew that it wasn't the time. So we waited until another season of life. That worked for us. Am I wishful of 1,000s of hours of experience? You bet, but if you are serious about flying, it will happen when you are ready, and not before. Hang in there, make your plans, look for those opportunities, quit making excuses, and live your personal adventure. Good luck to every serious pilot-in-heart.

No one has mentioned Ultralights as a less expensive way to get into the air which is what we all want to do.
    Back in the 80's 90's and untill 2005 when the FAA approved LSA, Ultalight flying brought a lot of pilots into aviation.
    Since then however, new ultralight pilots and planes have been nearly impossible to attain because the FAA has eliminated the possibility of getting training in any ultralight plane. Even training in a two place fat ultralight or training UL (that now has to be registered as an LSA,) no instructor could charge for his services becaused it is not a certified aircraft. I blame not only the FAA but also GA pilots who let this happen. We need to encourage all aviation organizations to work to make UL training available as it was before 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Swanstrom View Post
    No one has mentioned Ultralights as a less expensive way to get into the air which is what we all want to do.
    Back in the 80's 90's and untill 2005 when the FAA approved LSA, Ultalight flying brought a lot of pilots into aviation.
    Since then however, new ultralight pilots and planes have been nearly impossible to attain because the FAA has eliminated the possibility of getting training in any ultralight plane. Even training in a two place fat ultralight or training UL (that now has to be registered as an LSA,) no instructor could charge for his services becaused it is not a certified aircraft. I blame not only the FAA but also GA pilots who let this happen. We need to encourage all aviation organizations to work to make UL training available as it was before 2005.

I agree with you. I would think there could be a way to "share the costs" and get instruction.

It isn't just the expense, not that that alone wouldn't wipe dreams from young skulls, but it is also something insidious; attitude which make young pilots very scarce. I have, over the years, flown hundreds of first-time flyers and what I have seen recently is an alarming unwillingness to actually commit to working towards a pilot's license. Kids seem to just want to zoom their thumbs over buttons on the latest zippy game. Heck, one kid showed up here at the 'port with his dad bubbling with effervescent enthusiasm only to drop completely out of sight. He would not answer phone messages to his cell-- the kid is a junior in HS and well-known 'gamer'.
    I have never seen such failure to actually want to get involved. Maybe it's just here.
    (BTW, my last three 'inductees are flying professionally for established carriers... one pilots a 747-8 out of Hong Kong..)

I read Martha's article and was similarly affected. There are a lot of problems with GA right now, cost being one of the biggest ones, and it ain't gettin' any better!

I am currently 17 years old and working on my PPL. I have personally experienced many of the things that have been talked about onthis thread. I love aviation, and love flying, but I just cannot afford to fly frequently.This then leads to time spent at the beginning of each lesson, reviewing over the past lesson, and more time and money being spent. I have two seasonal jobs,and was going to pursue a part time job, but don’t have time due to schoolwork. I would love to take my lessons ina LSA, but there is not a place to rent these within an hour drive. So for now I will continue lessons at a slowrate, just so I can continue to fly, then in the future hopefully I can takelessons more frequently, and eventually hold a pilot’s certificate.
    Last edited by Ryan Hornback; 10-15-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Ryan,
    Here's a bit of perspective from an old man, while you may have to "plod" along with your lessons you are doing so at age 17. I got my license at age 50 and am approaching 20 years of flying. Think about how many flying years you will have at age 70. I envy your good fortune to be able to actually start flying at 17! Take pleasure in filling up a log book with hours of memories and lessons learned and re-learned, it's like a savings account, the more you put in the more you get out.

Happy Flying

Joe

I would like to offer food for thought , I used to be in a local flying club and our newest member was much like Ryan, a student with a part time job trying to earn enough to pay for his ticket. We raised our dues $5.00 per month to pay for giving away a free flight hour each meeting. We held a drawing at each meeting to entice the members to come out and participate in the meetings. Someone in the club made the generous gesture to give their free hour to the new guy to help him fly more often. It really became a trend and was a help to the young man who is now a pilot. And a good one at that !. Perhaps we on this board could start something similar to assist the young people who dream of flying. If we all contribute 5 or ten dollars and their are enough of us it could really make a difference for some of the younger dreamers. Perhaps the moderator can create a poll to see how much interest there might be in such an idea. Count me in. What say you ?.???