Thread: What are you working on right now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are you working on right now?

My unfinished RV is giving my dirty looks every time I walk through the garage. "Hey! Remember me?"

I haven't touched it since June! My wife and I have been doing a complete redo ($$$) of the kitchen and it's almost finished. Soooo, this weekend, I'm going to dust off the work bench (and the plans) and get back at it, the RV that is...

How about you? Wutcha' working on?

I haven't worked on my Pietenpol since late May/early June due to the extremely high temps... finally got a break last week and have been at the airport six days in a row. Heat index is approaching 110 degrees again and will be there for several days... may have to take a short break again.

Really stinks to come back from Oshkosh all ramped up and be unable to do much productive.

Making ribs for my Tailwind project!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I know what you mean about the heat Mark. It's tough here in Texas. I have a portable air conditioner in the garage with extra insulation in the attic. If I get up early on the weekend and put it on, it will keep the temperature at about 85 degrees, which is workable.

I found this portable air conditioner at Lowes. It's the largest one they make that rolls around. It comes with a 4 inch hose that's meant to be vented out a window close by.

Name:  17garageair1.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  64.1 KB

The problem is that there isn't a window in the garage, so I decided to vent it out into the attic using two 4 inch hoses. But the unit would shut down because it was trying to force too much hot air in too long and narrow a distance. So, in true experimental tradition, I went back to Lowes and bought some 8 inch air conditioning duct and some fittings to narrow the end down to fit the 4 inch air conditioner hose. Now the unit keeps running no matter what. It amazing how hot the the metal duct gets.

Name:  18garageair2.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  86.6 KB

My wife's first response was "What the ....?". (See the quote under my signature)
    Last edited by FunInAviation; 08-19-2011 at 06:11 AM.

I am planning to adjust leveling of my worktable this Saturday. Also I am waiting for air compressor. It will be delivered next Monday.

Just finished the rib template for the Acey Deucy. Picking up plywood sheeting for nose block and gussets soon, then it's time to make some ribs. All the while enduring the extreme heat of the Pacific Northwest -- might just hit 76 tomorrow. ;-) BTW, I'm originally from Texas, so I surely know how miserable working in the heat can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    I haven't worked on my Pietenpol since late May/early June due to the extremely high temps... finally got a break last week and have been at the airport six days in a row. Heat index is approaching 110 degrees again and will be there for several days... may have to take a short break again.

Really stinks to come back from Oshkosh all ramped up and be unable to do much productive.
    Here in Seattle, we've had something like just 5 days this year that have been over 80 degrees (with highs only in the low '80s). I've only been able to fly my (open cockpit) Fly Baby twice this summer without a jacket....

Working on my shop, getting ready to order an RV 8 wing kit.....

Yesss!!! Table was installed properly using plastic wedges for flooring board and big washers. Free of charge fitness.
    Last edited by Commodore; 08-22-2011 at 01:46 AM.

The high temps in OK have pretty much shut me down from getting any thing done. I am adding ailerons to my Starflight DBL and managed to get the bending jigs built and the parts bent up and ready for assembly. Now its just a matter of getting the time to put it all back together along with the engine. My wife won't let me aircondition the shop. Pretty narrow minded if you ask me. Roger P