Thread: Avgas in auto engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shocked Avgas in auto engine

My apologies if this topic has been covered before.

Does anyone have real data on which to offer insights on using avgas in an auto conversion? I am running a Subaru EA81 in a Karatoo-based aircraft and wonder what impact avgas will have on the Subaru when I start making longer flights and refuel at airports that do not have auto gasoline.

If that engine still has the oxygen sensor, you're going to kill it in short order with leaded fuel.

No oxygen sensor on this one. I started with a basic core and built up the engine with Bing carbs, manifold, SS exhaust from Stratus. Core had incomplete ignition system so I installed a Crane Cams unit.

I'm a member of the FlySoob group on Yahoo!, and the topic has come up a fair amount pretty recently. I think that what people are seeing is that lead buildup on the valves keeps the system from sealing up tight (lower compression), as well as the potential for sticky valves. I believe that most try to use autofuel where they can, and judicious use of Decalin/TCP when avgas is the only option.

Here's a good thread to start with (presuming you can read posts in the group anonymously--I haven't tried):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlySoob/message/10478

Best regards,
    Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the response and will definitely check out the link.

Terry

Subs run really nice on Avgas - I run the EJ20 in my Adventurer on it. The only proviso as mentioned earlier is around Oxygen sensors. Mine doesn't have one and it runs really sweet. There is no way I would want to be stuck with auto fuel on this beast - lugging jerry cans around isn't my idea of fun.
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.