Thread: Would like comments on Acry Glo paint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Would like comments on Acry Glo paint

What has been your experience with this paint? Did you paint it with HVLP?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetteman89 View Post
    What has been your experience with this paint? Did you paint it with HVLP?
    I'll start painting my RV-10 with it this weekend. Actually, a combination of Jet Glo and Acry Glo. I will probably be a couple weeks before I'll have any feedback to share. I'm not actually painting it myself. I've been demoted to painter's assistant on this part of the project, since I can't spray worth a darn.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

I wish you luck (and the person you are assisting) and am looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

Vetteman89,

We've painted the RV-10 tail feathers and cowl. We started off with the SW primer, the Jet Glo Matterhorn White. Last night we started the striping with Acry Glo Seminole Red. Tonight will be doing some large areas with Acry Glo Phantom Gray. Thursday night will be another stripe night with Acry Glo Silver and will finish with clear coat on Friday night. We start over again on the fuselage on Saturday.

So far, everything is going as anticipated. The white covered the green primer just fine. We applied two light coats. The metallic red got me a little nervous on the first coat. On top of the white, it looked pink. It took quite a few more coats for the white not to bleed through. I was told this was typical of most reds. I'll be able to validate that tonight when the metallic gray is applied.

The painter (not me) is using a HVLP gun. Seems to work fine. This is the first time he has worked with SW products. He normally shoots PPG auto paint.

There are some pictures on my build site, but I haven't posted that last couple of days yet.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying

rleffler- thanks for the info. What pressure is the HVLP gun set at? Another question, did you use primer, then filler, then color, or just the primer and the color? Looking forward to seeing your photos.

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Vetteman89 View Post
    rleffler- thanks for the info. What pressure is the HVLP gun set at? Another question, did you use primer, then filler, then color, or just the primer and the color? Looking forward to seeing your photos.

thanks again!
    He used about 40psi for the white, but he turned down to 30 for the red since the area was pretty small. I don't know the pressure for the primer, but it was set lower as well.

So far, all the filler was done pre-primer and didn't need to be addressed after priming. My wife and I spent the last 6-8 weeks filling and priming all the fiberglass parts, transitions, and a few smilies that I made. I suspect when we start the fuselage we may find spots I missed that will need to be addresed after the primer.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying