Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA staff Zenith 750 project

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    We've had a few build sessions since the launch party, and the tail group is coming along nicely! I've had a few new faces at each session so the total count of staff involved is now well over 20. Last night we finished the initial drilling on the horizontal stabilizer, and worked on a few smaller pieces of the elevator.

Attachment 2554

Attachment 2555

Attachment 2556

Attachment 2557

Saturday we should be riveting the HS together!

Don't forget the weber grill and the fridge to help keep it fun!

Banned
    Hey Green,

Beyond the donation of a kit, we were looking at building an ELSA to eliminate choices among a group of builders, but still get the full build experience. That left two choices, Zenith 750 and RV-12 as they have SLSA versions. While Van's made an attractive offer, the 750 was donated, and that's how we ended up with it.

As a non-builder I am, however, very intersted in following your build progress because I find the entire process intriguing. I wish all of those involved the best of luck and the most fun as you move towards completion.

Chad, can you clear up possible confusion re your comment about the RV-12 as S-LSA. Vans does not build any factory ready to fly aircraft. The RV-12 is intended to be licensed as ELSA and is also eligible for registration as E-AB. Van's received S-LSA approval for the prototype but no factory built version is or was meant to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    As a non-builder I am, however, very intersted in following your build progress because I find the entire process intriguing. I wish all of those involved the best of luck and the most fun as you move towards completion.

Chad, can you clear up possible confusion re your comment about the RV-12 as S-LSA. Vans does not build any factory ready to fly aircraft. The RV-12 is intended to be licensed as ELSA and is also eligible for registration as E-AB. Van's received S-LSA approval for the prototype but no factory built version is or was meant to be available.
    You are exactly correct. I didn't mean to imply that Van's sells SLSA RV-12, only that we were planning to build an ELSA approved airplane based on an SLSA design. Sorry about that.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    ...stuff deleted....

Funny you should mention that. Looks like things are changing (although it is not Van's doing the actual building)....

http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/o...ss_release.pdf

Mark
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Looks like things are changing (although it is not Van's doing the actual building)....

http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/o...ss_release.pdf

Mark

RV, thanks for posting this timely release. This is a very good but long over due decision by Vans. With their very strong reputation and brand recognition, I suspect Vans may have created an initiative that will be a significant shot in the arm for the SLSA category and its to date moribund sales activity. Now if they could bring the price down to $90K their potential market would increase dramatically.

Special thanks to Sebastian and Zenith Aircraft for the generous donation of the 750 to EAA for us to build, and eventually put in to the EAA Employee flying club!
    There is no such thing as a free puppy or airplanes.

Is there going to be a drawing on who gets the repairman's license?

(fantastic program - nothing demonstrates that the core function of the organization is still a core function of the organization to the membership and others)
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    There is no such thing as a free puppy or airplanes.

Is there going to be a drawing on who gets the repairman's license?

(fantastic program - nothing demonstrates that the core function of the organization is still a core function of the organization to the membership and others)
    Thanks Frank! Since we are building ELSA, we won't apply for a repairman certificate (go through the course), and it will be maintained by the great folks at EAA's Weeks hangar.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Thanks Frank! Since we are building ELSA, we won't apply for a repairman certificate (go through the course), and it will be maintained by the great folks at EAA's Weeks hangar.

Think you can find an A&P somewhere?

Several updates to the build are on the blog site, but since we just finished the empennage this past weekend, I thought it appropriate to post the link to the latest entry. Check it out!

http://zenith750project.com/2012/11/...-to-the-wings/

Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Straight rivet lines, clean environment, aluminum without all sorts of reference and comment marks all over it.....spooky.

This is how a build table should look:

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.