Thread: Non flyer needs help deciding on what kit to build

Non flyer needs help deciding on what kit to build

First off I don't have a LLSA pilot's license and only have flown right seat a couple of times. I'm a project oriented kind of guy and would like to build a kit plane. I'm thinking of building a Onex, Panther or Zenith 650B. Once I get close to completing my kit, I will get my LSA license. My wife thinks I'm crazy and doesn't want me to spend the money. However, I know she'll come around once I get started. My question is would anyone recommend the Onex or Panther as a first time build and first time plane to fly? Or, would the 650B more practical / safe? Other suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

Not to discourage you but I would reconsider building before getting the license. I was going to go that route but changed my mind and found that while getting the license the type of flying that I thought I would be doing before getting the license was drastically different from what I ended up reallying wanting to do after I finished. If you don't want to go the full route of getting a license then at least consider getting a number of hours of instruction in and maybe getting at least to solo before settling on a kit.

You also need to have a serious conversation with your wife before starting to build. If she isn't on board and 100% behind you then your chances of finishing the plane and flying it are very slim. Money is a big issue when building but so is getting buy in on the time and effort that is going to be required. The classified ads on barnstormers are full of half built projects that are being sold because the person building wasn't honest with themselves or their significant other about how much money, time, and effort it was going to take to finish.

As far as the Onex being a good first plane to build I would say it is a great choice. I am building a Sonex and the plans are probably the best out there. If you go that rout seriosuly consider going to the builders workshop at the factory before building. You get a discount on the kit for attending but more importantly you get to meet the people who work at Sonex and they give you all sorts of tips and tricks that will help you out during the build. You might also want to consider a 2 place plane instead. As a newly minted pilot you are going to want to take alot of your friends and relatives up for a ride and owning a single place onex isn't going let that happen. Having to rent a plane every time someone wants to go flying with you will keep you from sharing your love of flying with alot of people.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kmacht View Post
    Not to discourage you but I would reconsider building before getting the license. I was going to go that route but changed my mind and found that while getting the license the type of flying that I thought I would be doing before getting the license was drastically different from what I ended up reallying wanting to do after I finished. If you don't want to go the full route of getting a license then at least consider getting a number of hours of instruction in and maybe getting at least to solo before settling on a kit.

You also need to have a serious conversation with your wife before starting to build. If she isn't on board and 100% behind you then your chances of finishing the plane and flying it are very slim. Money is a big issue when building but so is getting buy in on the time and effort that is going to be required. The classified ads on barnstormers are full of half built projects that are being sold because the person building wasn't honest with themselves or their significant other about how much money, time, and effort it was going to take to finish.
    I've been building planes for twenty years and the post above is extremely good advice. You need some flying background to know what kind of airplane you enjoy.

And.........you MUST have the family entirely behind you BEFORE you begin the project. Too many builders have had to include the divorce in total project cost............these projects always take more $$$$'s and time than originally anticipated.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 09-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I will suggest that your relationship with your family will be better if you build a two seat, not a single-seat, aircraft and paint your spouse's name under the other canopy rail. She never has to fly in it, but that extra seat buys a LOT of goodwill. A friend had the experience of a spouse candidate pointing at a single seat aircraft and declaring that the single seat was "selfish". A friend who flys a single seat Pitts painted "Thanks Teri" (his wife) on the airplane. Generations of pilots have learned through trial and error the value of spending a few extra $$ to recognize a spouse on their airplanes....

And I second the suggestion that you learn to fly first. A surprising number of individuals have built airplanes that had specs that sounded good and discovered that the reality did not fit the dream. Pitts Specials in particular are built and sold with only a few hours of flight time. Those builders discovered that they wanted the performance but the challenges that came with that performance pulled them out of their comfort zone.

With any luck, after you learn to fly you will discover that in fact something like a Sonex matches your interests and resources.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

One nice thing about learning to fly before building is that once you have the pilot license, either sport or private or whatever, you are forever a pilot. It doesn't expire. Now you may need a BFR review if you lay off awhile, and a new medical after a few years if you are a private, but even without them, you are still a pilot, and can go fly and don't have to wait years until you finish a project.
    If you can, I would go on some dual flights in something similar to what you want to build, to see if you really like that. Also talk to lot's of owners at EAA flyins and such. And a partner in building is a great thing, if there is one near you.
    Having said all this, there are plenty of folks that really love to build and are good at it, and may even put it above or at least equal to flying.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-25-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Another vote here for putting the family consideration in force. Most Sonex builders try to have an N number that ends in SX or X. I went with our anniversary date and the initials of our two sons. Reaped big rewards for that...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    Bill

The Panther is looking to be an impressive little plane, and is really attractive - it can also be built in several versions - I understand they are planning a 2-seater but I'd expect that is a way off yet. The Sonex and Waiex are great planes, easy builds and well-supported and a little more utilitarian than a single-seater.

Good luck whatever you decide to to do.

'Gimp
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right.

EAA Chapter 14, IAC Chapter 36

http://acrogimp.wordpress.com/