Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WANTED : AN-2 Antonov Airframes

I remember seeing one at one of the Milwaukee, WI area airports I stopped at while doing cross-country training when I was getting my license 7 or so years ago.

Edit: There are 19 here in the U.S. according to the FAA registry database.
    Last edited by Matt Gonitzke; 10-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    There ya go rkirk77, for the US, just go down the registry and start contacting owners. I'm sure there's some good leads....

Found 22 of them registered in the US. Five are with obvious museums. I see the guy who had all the airframes near Seattle still is listed as owning one; you might ping him and see if he can tell you what happened to his set of them. Look up N6020S.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron!

There's one at the Richmond, RI airport but I doubt it's flying. I also saw a writeup on on that an older couple had outfitted for living in... they flew it to Burning Man which just seemed right.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The Ropkey Armor Museum in Crawfordsville, IN had an AN-2 (Polish version) as of last summer. I would venture a guess that's it's still there.

Probably a couple dozen scattered across the country. Maybe a handful are airworthy and actually fly?
    I think the Pima Air Museum has one in storage too as I recall hearing about it when I visited there many moons ago. I should have said I've never seen one in airworthy condition. Doesn't mean they are not out there, just that I've never seen them. It's a shame because they are neat planes.

Very cool.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

There was one sitting on the ramp at the Kenosha WI airport a few years back.
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    I think the Pima Air Museum has one in storage too as I recall hearing about it when I visited there many moons ago. I should have said I've never seen one in airworthy condition. Doesn't mean they are not out there, just that I've never seen them. It's a shame because they are neat planes.
    The ones around here used to fly a bit, and they were fun to watch. Biiiigg airplanes, and they fly slow to start with, so it looks like a noisy blimp floating by. The owner used to give rides to anyone who'd pay for the gas, and I kind of regret not taking him up on it.

On the other hand, from some reviews I've seen, they are not that great to fly.

Ron Wanttaja

I asked around, and as of about three weeks ago, there was one sitting one the ramp at the Kenosha, WI airport. It doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

Since that is what the original poster asked, I figured I'd post this. May want to contact one of the FBO's at KENW or try the manager there.
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

On the other hand, from some reviews I've seen, they are not that great to fly.
    I've heard that they are quite the handful but they are just so different (you don't see biplanes that size anymore) that I would love a ride in one let alone getting to log a couple of hours in one.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.