I'm trying to figure out what to build, and I could use some suggestions. My basic requirements are:
- Small, one or two-place E-AB aircraft
- Preferably conventional gear
- Folding wings to allow towing and garage storage
- Available as a complete kit
- Total budget for VFR a/c: $30,000
Missions that interest me include:
- Dawn patrol-type low and slow flying
- Cross-country flights for $100 burgers, fly-ins, etc.
- Perhaps Sportsman or Sprint class Sport Air Racing
So far I've looked pretty hard at the Belite and OneX. The Belite has the advantages of low cost, relatively fast build, and low/slow fun, but lacks speed/range and uses a noisy two stroke (one flight review described it as deafening). The OneX is more expensive and complicated to build, but has more typical GA speed and range with larger tanks and a four stroke, and it could be raced.
I seem to recall that at least some of the Kolb aircraft have folding wings, but their website is down as I write this, so I can't confirm it. Are they still in business?
I've also looked at the Loehle 5151 and P-40. They might be race-able, but their wings/tail come off rather than fold, so setup, takedown and trailering would be difficult to do by myself.
I enjoy both low/slow and cross-country flying, but I don't have room and can't afford to build two aircraft! Are there any other kits I should look at that might fit one or more of my missions, while meeting my basic requirements? Thanks!