Thread: Canadian Experimental Aircraft

Canadian Experimental Aircraft

Occasionally I see some really interesting experimental aircraft for sale in Canada.

What kind of hoops would one have to jump thru to be able to import a Canadian built & registered experimental & register it in the US?

Could it even be registered as E/AB in this country?

The most recent intel I have is it's treated just like a new homebuilt. Inspection, Phase I limitations, test period, Phase II, etc.

Since Canada and the USA have an agreement on aircraft including homebuilts it should be a similar process in the USA to import from Canada as it is to import from USA to Canada.
    "If the aircraft is finished and flying and has 100 hours total time on the airframe then it can be imported, with only an inspection of the finished aircraft when it comes into the country. Transport Canada performs the inspections on flying aircraft in Canada, so you will need to contact them for an inspection."

That's what is required to bring a homebuilt into Canada. I would contact your local FAA office which handles normal aircraft importation.

Incidently, in the USA all aircraft are registered at Oklahoma City so they are easy to search for financial liens or other holdbacks. Canada does not have a similar central registry, registration is broken into 4 different centers across Canada and financial liens can be registered in any province, they are NOT recorded with the aircraft registration.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    The official FAA guidance is found in AC 20-27G: Section 16. Certifying an Amateur-Built Aircraft Built Outside the United States and Purchased By a U.S. Citizen. Here is a link:
    http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...C%2020-27G.pdf
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

Thanks Charlie, that answers the questions I had

Hi Mike,
    I imported an experimental Tundra from Canada in 2007. I also had to take it back to Canada for repairs this spring and "re-import" the plane.
    You not only have to deal with the FAA, more importantly, you have to deal with US Customs ( and CA customs, if you are flying the plane back to CA for repairs).
    US Customs will require that you hire a broker to file the required documents. The cost of the broker is around $500--but you also have to buy a $50,000 bond. The documentation isn't too confusing and the broker can assist you in filling it out correctly and having it with you when you import the plane.
    What is tricky is whether you can fly the plane into the US or whether the builder/owner must do so. Why ? Because it is not a US registered N plane yet--it is a C plane and does not have an airworthiness certificate. I had the seller fly the plane with me into US Customs after we had executed the purchase agreement in Canada. He flew the plane to my airport where it stayed parked until the FAA did the airworthiness inspection.
    If you want more info, call me at 973-462-0820. Frank