Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-aviation use email from vendor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anti-aviation use email from vendor

I just received this email from a vendor I recently purchased some parts from:

"AVIATION??? Michael, I am sorry, but our products do not go through the rigorous testing, inspection, design rigor and quality control etc necessary for aviation. We cannot honor any warranty or accept any liability in such an application whatsoever. If this is an issue, let me know and I will pay for return shipping and refund your money. Can you also send us a waiver that you accept all design responsibility for application & use of our product as a Professional Engineer?"

Honestly, I'm not real sure how to react. This appears to be a small company, they use the word "racing" in their business name and advertise their products to the auto racing community.

The items I purchased from them are aluminum crankshaft, water pump, & alternator pulleys. I would just send them back, but I am using the short aluminum water pump Ford used on the early 260 & 289, & there aren't exactly a lot of places making aluminum pulleys for that application.

Maybe from now on I should just lie & tell everyone the engine is for a Cobra or GT40 replica?

First rule of procuring items for aircraft from vendors selling non-aircraft parts: Don't tell them it's for an airplane.

I'd just send them a note indicating that you are building an experimental aircraft and quote the FAR 's covering the type and liability. Keep the parts and use them, and follow Matt's advise in the future.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Maybe from now on I should just lie & tell everyone the engine is for a Cobra or GT40 replica?
    Nah, I'd tell them not only am I installing the parts on an aircraft, I'm installing decals that prominiently display their name on the side of the fuselage. Call it "free" advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Nah, I'd tell them not only am I installing the parts on an aircraft, I'm installing decals that prominiently display their name on the side of the fuselage. Call it "free" advertising.
    Most of these places send lots of decals with the order, I guess that is what they are for. This vendor is one of the few that didn't.

By the time I'm done with this I will probably have enough Summit stickers to paper the walls of the shop.

You can't really blame them though. I bet their insurance specifically excludes aviation use even though it covers racing. They're risking their company and personal assets if they get sued. Even if they win the case, the legal fees would probably crush them. If they don't know the part will be used on a plane their insurance would at lease pay for the defense. Once they have knowledge the part was used on a plane, that goes out the window.

I sent them an email stating that if this proceeds beyond the design study / mockup stage that I would be responsible for the design and would comply with all testing & certification requirements as set forth by the Federal Aviation Regulations.

They probably won't know what that means...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    You can't really blame them though. I bet their insurance specifically excludes aviation use even though it covers racing. They're risking their company and personal assets if they get sued. Even if they win the case, the legal fees would probably crush them. If they don't know the part will be used on a plane their insurance would at lease pay for the defense. Once they have knowledge the part was used on a plane, that goes out the window.
    One of the local bearing supply houses refuses to sell parts for aviation applications. I learned this when I was in there looking for a specific bearing or a direct replacement. The guy asked "Ooh, is it for an airplane? The computer says it probably is. We don't sell bearings for aircraft."

Why do you have to tell them anything??

Of course my out was that the parts are for an RV.........
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    No, just tell them it's for an "off-road vehicle."

Ron Wanttaja