Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: State aircraft registration

Colorado once had a registration 'tax' but finally figured out that it was costing the state more money to administer the program than it brought in as revenue, so they dropped it.

The much better 'news' is that some years back, Colorado tried to lure United into building a major overhaul base in the Denver area. To sweeten the bid they removed the sales tax on aircraft parts. The bid failed and United built their overhaul base elsewhere. But the law remains on the books, and home builders can claim tax exemption on their airplanes. My first plane was registered with the FAA and the state did nothing. When the second plane I built was registered the state picked up that information (as most states do) and wanted sales tax on the cost of the plane. I sent them well over one pound of receipts, shipping documents, and supporting information like local sales receipts, and they backed down. Amount saved was several thousand dollars.

State aircraft registration

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    ....... the proposal would make airplanes only subject to a registration tax and block a tax based on value. That sounds like a win.
    Wes
    N78PS
    Bob and Wes...I, also, live in FL, and will vote against Amendment 3. Like many things "political", the devil is in the details.

-Yes...preventing an "Ad Valorum" clause IS a good thing. And, certainly, a registration fee is reasonable. But, unfortunately a "license tax" is both vague, and open to placing any amount that the "whim" of the legislature decides.
    -
    Since we all know, that because "everyone who owns an airplane is rich"; it's good politics to "soak" the airplane owners "their fair (unfair) share" of the tax burden. After all...if you can afford a "quicksilver" or an "affordaplane", you can surely afford to pay more taxes.

And; once politicians have an opportunity to create even a small tax; it's always easier to increase it later.

And Wes, perhaps I remember my Latin a little better than you do.

Therefore to AMENDMENT 3, I say "Upus Rectum" !

Last edited by uncleleon; 10-05-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: rephrase