We have a dozen proposed constitutional ammendments on our Nov 6 Florida ballot. Number 3 is interesting and I'm wondering what the other 56 states are doing in this area. Briefly, it says that "Motor vehicles, boats, airplanes, trailers, r.v.s & mobile homes shall be subject to a license tax for their operation, but shall not be subject to ad valorum taxes." These are now subject to registration fees (non deductable with IRS) and sales tax (deductable) on vehicles, boats,etc. Aircraft are not included. Just pay the sales tax.

I thought there may be a lawyer or two in the state legislature to help draft this turkey. They should know that the FAA is narrow minded in that only they may license aircraft and airmen. I was a plane owner in Maine in the 60,s and that state required pilots to be state licensed and aircraft to be registered. Aircraft were registered along with motor vehicles,etc. They charged by weight class, so Champs were cheaper than Chevys. However, it had to be paid to the town where you based and not your home town. If you moved your plane, the new town wanted their cut. A "state pilots license" cost three bucks per year. They put four blank forms on a mimeographed 8 X 10. Participation was spotty. Said to be needed in case some pilot went rogue and didn't pay his hangar rent, landed on the beach.or commited some other non FAA violation. Finaly, the FAA got into it and informed the state to shut down the license programs because they and they alone regulated aircraft and airmen.

Florida airplane owners may feel discriminated and singled out because gliders, rotor craft, balloons and direct lift aircraft are off the hook for the proposed license tax. The proposed ammendment is so poorly written that it should not survive the courts.

Bob