Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free new Android VFR GPS app with Sectionals & AF/D

Loaded this a couple days ago and am testing it out on a road trip. I like that I only had to load the 2 sectionals where I will be, and not load the phone up with bunches of charts I will never use. Question - the phone does its usual "go dim" after some number of seconds of no user activity, then screen goes dark (also per usual for most other apps). With the Navigation (driving) app, the screen stays lit until the user turns it off. Of course constant screen on draws the battery down pretty quick, but I think most people would run navigation with external power. Is there a way to keep Avare on the screen until the user turns the screen off?
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    Is there a way to keep Avare on the screen until the user turns the screen off?
    Yes there are currently two methods: 1. While using Avare, temporarily use Settings/Display/Screen timeout/Never timeout. 2. Permanently use Settings/Applications/Development/Stay awake (while plugged in), and plug in external power while using Avare. I use the second method, because I keep my device plugged into aircraft accessory power.

There is not yet an option in Avare itself to keep the device awake, which would add to the two methods the ability for the device to never sleep only while running Avare. Of course, if such an option were added it would require another Permission during the install. Often the more Permissions an app requires, the more people will hesitate to install it. I wish Android had more "granularity" in Permissions, so that a developer could choose only the specific access required. Also nice would be an option to install an app and still refuse selected Permissions. But I'm glad Android users at least have some ability to find out what apps will have access to when choosing whether to install (unlike another mobile OS).

Avare is improving so fast! We're at version 2.6, and another Update will probably happen soon. It now lists the 50 Nearest airports, and several other new features have been added since v2.5 plus some refinements and minor fixes. Be sure to check often for new versions, because some really remarkable features are in the works. It's also now available on the Amazon Android store, which might help with any devices that gPlay hasn't allowed installation on because Avare runs fine on those for people using the new Manual Installation instructions on our website. As always, we welcome feedback, feature requests, and of course any reports of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSBA View Post
    Avare is improving so fast! We're at version 2.6, and another Update will probably happen soon. It now lists the 50 Nearest airports, and several other new features have been added since v2.5 plus some refinements and minor fixes. Be sure to check often for new versions, because some really remarkable features are in the works. It's also now available on the Amazon Android store, which might help with any devices that gPlay hasn't allowed installation on because Avare runs fine on those for people using the new Manual Installation instructions on our website. As always, we welcome feedback, feature requests, and of course any reports of problems.
    Nice! Just loaded it into my 'new' Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Just the right size for the 172.

I loaded the avare app on my samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. downloaded appropriate charts and checked it out on a road trip from ohio to florida last week. works fine in a uhaul truck cab, does just what they said it would do at speeds up to sixty knots and the screen is readable. i haven't found a download of the airport facility directory on the "download charts" page so i haven't figured out yet how to get AFD info "in flight". thank you, JohnSBA, for directing me to this app.

AFD Database Built In

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    works fine
    Thanks for the report. It's helpful getting reports from lots of different pilots using different Androids.

haven't found a download of the airport facility directory
    Because most pilots will use it, the AFD database is built into the app so you don't have to download it. We made the Airport Diagrams an item on the Downloads menu because it's a big file and some pilots don't use it. All you need do for AFD is input an airport code in the Destination, and all available AFD info for that airport is displayed in a scrollable list with a touch of the AFD button. For looking up multiple airports, I've found it convenient to use the Nearest button if the airport you're looking for is one of the 50 nearest airports. If there's a distant airport I'll be looking at more than once I also change my Base airport in Preferences sometimes, and to activate it I just hit Destination and OK to accept the Base code always shown as the default input for Destination.

We're looking at different ways of displaying all the info packed in this cool little app, so watch for some interface changes in coming releases. We're also looking into ways of adding weather.

Happy Flying -j

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSBA View Post
    All you need do for AFD is input an airport code in the Destination, and all available AFD info for that airport is displayed in a scrollable list with a touch of the AFD button.

well, DUH! works great, thank you!