Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Systems for Painting Aircraft

Just thinking outloud here....I got a little scared off by some of the posts, especially the one with pictures of the paint peeling off. But that wasn't with the new Ecocrylic. Ecocrylic has only been available for a short time, so it is too early to tell if it will hold up well.

I would really like to go with this water-bourne for safety, clean-up, and no solvent smell. But then there is the risk of it peeling off. Hmmm. what to do, what to do.

I have been painting aircraft for 30 years, today we stripped the Stewart primer off a project and ordered Polyfiber. The ekopoly went on nice then it started to do all kinds of crazy stuff. When it dried it looked like a orange peeled mess that resembled the moon surface. Everything was clean and dry but some how a smooth finish turned into a mess over night. I called and ordered another qt sanded the fabric and painted again. This time the finish was ok. I sprayed some metal parts with there metal paint and the same thing happened. I am done this company needs to stop selling, figure out the problems and start again. My shop has lost over a week on this job. When I called them it was like the guy opened up a book of excuses. This stuff will never be in my shop again.

I just finished my 170 wings with Ecofil and it looks great.
    Name:  20130920_120020.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  89.0 KB Name:  20131028_132943.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  90.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 11-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.

This year's Copperstate Grand Champion, an Escapade, was painted with Stewart Systems paint. It is SUPERB! I've seen the airplane close up and tried to find a flaw in the paint. I failed. Obviously, if you take care in painting, you get excellent results. if not...

Read about it here and enjoy the pictures as well as the writeup: http://www.copperstate.org/csj/index...grand-champion
    Bill

If you have 30 years of experience spraying paint, I can see why the Stewart Systems paint would give you trouble...it sprays very differently from auto paint and the Stits products, but if you follow the directions, it works. I've also found the people there to be extremely helpful when I called searching for solutions to issues I was having. Every time it wasn't working right I was doing something wrong, and they were able to guide me in the right direction.
    Name:  Austria07 (Large).jpg
Views: 950
Size:  89.4 KB

A friend painted his airplane using this method. He used fresh air supply and wore covering over his clothes. After painting three of the wings on his bi-plane he started to break out in a rash. He had to stop painting for a short. He did not paint these all in one day but over a few days. He setup an old camper and made a paint booth out of it. Put in a couple fresh air vents with filters and all. Then he had a fresh air supply he wore that he breathed through. He believes what little got on his skin after time built up in his system and he became allergic.
    He lurks on this board and just maybe he will chime in here. I only post this to worn those painting to take extra care and caution when using any of these paints systems. It may not bother you but maybe it does your friend or buddy.
    His airplane turned out top notch. One of the best I have seen. If you saw this airplane you would call it an award winner. I hope MORGAN chimes in and posts some pics.....Lets see your Airplane Morgan. He is building a Zenith 750 now and you should see that. He loves to build and at the rate he is building he will be building a lot of airplanes, and doing it alone and working a full time job, amazing.
    I told him to build airplanes Minus Firewall forward, and instruments and put them up for sale, people would jump on them. He could not build them fast enough.

Tony

i wonder if it was all the unnecessary protective clothing that he was wearing that he is allergic to...

Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
    i wonder if it was all the unnecessary protective clothing that he was wearing that he is allergic to...
    The Stewart guys have told me to wear the same PPE you'd wear with any other paint. Even if they didn't, who'd want paint overspray all over himself or herself anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
    He used what any other painter would use. Unnecessary you say.

I just got off the phone with Morgan. he said he would chime in on here sometime but not tonight, he was going to bed. But he did confirm he did have a reaction when using this system after a while of use.