Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stewart Systems for Painting Aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    The pictures, from my perspective, appear to have some form of contamination between the undercoat and topcoat. Since conventional solvents are not being used to get past any surface "oils" the surface prep is even more important.
    In the supplied photos - what type of spray gun was used? How long between fill coats and top coats and what was the environment during that time?
    Having seen the display aircraft that Stewart uses for their "booth" I was impressed. I attended two work shops on Stewart products - one observing and the other hands on. I was pleased with the ease of application
    I talk with the Stewart guys at almost every Osh and SnF and am tempted by their products. However, even they have what I'll call mystery problems from time to time. I was talking with the fellow who helps them and posts a lot on the SuperCub forum and asked about a couple of the covered samples he had on display at Osh two years ago and he said something like "Yeah, I had to do the yellow one twice. I painted it and it went to absolute crap, so I tore the covering off and redid it." When something like that happens to one of the factory guys and he doesn't have a good explanation, that worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I talk with the Stewart guys at almost every Osh and SnF and am tempted by their products.
    you should get a trial kit and play with it.

note that you can call them any work day ad talk to them.

The builders who have gone before you are the best trial kit that you can have if you are trying to assess the quality and repeatability of a paint process. Sometimes a trial kit is usefull to assess your own aptitude for being successful, but that is a different issue than what is being discussed here....

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    you should get a trial kit and play with it.

note that you can call them any work day ad talk to them.
    I do have (sort of) the trial kit. I bought enough stuff (including color coat) to cover a rudder - start to finish. Probably a project for a nice weekend when I don't have anything else to do. I'm expecting one of those in about 25 years. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The builders who have gone before you are the best trial kit that you can have if you are trying to assess the quality and repeatability of a paint process. Sometimes a trial kit is usefull to assess your own aptitude for being successful, but that is a different issue than what is being discussed here....

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    The original topic was ......

""Has anyone tried the Stewart System for painting? I have heard positives and negatives about it and would like to learn more from someone who has had any type of experience with it.""

the best method of knowing that is try it see what ya think..

I recently finished a SeaRey (fabric) project. The Stewart system through the primer-filler was fabulous. The topcoat drove me crazy. I followed the company's videos religiously, even buying the gun that they recommend, and painted in a heated and air conditioned hangar. The problem was wide variation in results. Same gun, same environment, same operator, same technique.....the horizontal stabilizers came out very nice, the left wing looks good, the right wing is an embarrassment, etc. Now, all of this is appearance and pride, or lack thereof. The paint has coated the fabric and everyone including the DAR thinks that it is airworthy. But I'll never use it again. With only 35 hrs on the airplane, it's too soon to tell about longevity.

Bruce

Their newest top coat is EcoCrylic, a two part system. Anyone tried it?

be very carefull with stawarts glue as it will release and turn to goo in a very short time if auto gas gets on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetteman89 View Post
    Their newest top coat is EcoCrylic, a two part system. Anyone tried it?
    Yes Don sent me a sample, it seems as good as the old DuPont Imron. but a little slower to dry.

Their 1 part sandable primer is the best primer I have ever found. thins with water, cleans up with soap and water, and what you don't use goes back into the can.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 09-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Their 1 part sandable primer is the best primer I have ever found. thins with water, cleans up with soap and water, and what you don't use goes back into the can.
    Not to mention it dries in minutes. My only complaint about that is it can make it hard to clean the paint gun if you don't dunk it in a bucket of water immediately after spraying.