Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need advice on getting a&p

Quote Originally Posted by Jben View Post
    This program is a godsend to a high school student that is willing to apply themselves (do the homework) so when they graduate high school they also get an A&P at the same time by passing the written exams and completing the Oral & Practical. Just think, you received your diploma, and your an A&P, and you’re 18 years old. You just gotta kickstart!
    One of the young guys who really was motivated finished the program and found employment on Maui working on commuter aircraft. Look at his opportunities. Darn he never got the chance to do fast food. Lol.
    Everyone is hearing about the "pilot shortage" going on, it's nothing compared to the current A&P shortage in the US. A young kid that wants to work on airplanes can write his own ticket. There are opportunities out the wazoo.

So you can build a plane and apply the time for an A&P. What if I only want the P? Building a plane powered by an automobile engine gives said person zero Jet/ turbine experience. So how can I do the P, just like a person can the A&P? And who do you contact in the FAA to find out?

Quote Originally Posted by enginesrus View Post
    So you can build a plane and apply the time for an A&P. What if I only want the P? Building a plane powered by an automobile engine gives said person zero Jet/ turbine experience. So how can I do the P, just like a person can the A&P? And who do you contact in the FAA to find out?
    Might want to check with the FSDO to ascertain if experience with auto conversions will count toward the 18 months practical experience for a mechanic certificate w/ powerplant rating. Just having the calender experience does not mean one can pass then requisite testing. I had to demonstrate several task with turbine engines during my powerplant oral and practical tests. Had I not known anything about turbine engines it would have been an unsat or pink slip as it's called and I would have been sent home empty handed. FWIW, one of my A&P school instructors became a DME (examiner) and he said the highest failure rate was military guys with no prep because they did not know anything about reciprocating engines. Second highest fail group were people testing on practical experience. Simply do not get a well rounded education that way.

The contact at the FSDO would be the maintenance inspector on duty. Call tell the receptionist / operator that answers that you want to speak to the maintenance inspector on duty, if s/he is busy they will call back. At the East MI FSDO, the front line manager is an A&P and all around good guy so if that happens to be your FSDO that's who you can talk to.