Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on getting a&p

Need advice on getting a&p

I am not sure who will see this if any but is there any way I could find some mechanics looking for an apprentice/ helper? I am currently looking at getting my A&P but I don't have the time or the money to do it through a school. I am a student pilot with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge and a quick learner with machinery/vehiclesMy location is Neenah Wisconsin right near brennand airport

that's a hard route to go. It also takes a long time. Have you looked up the requirements in the FAR's for how many hours you are required to get? It's a lot and will take years. Your going to have to keep track of everything you do end up doing in a good logbook.

Quote Originally Posted by uavmx View Post
    that's a hard route to go. It also takes a long time. Have you looked up the requirements in the FAR's for how many hours you are required to get? It's a lot and will take years. Your going to have to keep track of everything you do end up doing in a good logbook.
    Yeah I realize that, it's not something I want to do for a job right away,i just want a sort of "kick off" and some experience.

Assuming that you don't want to leave your area, then you just have to go start slumming around the airports in your home town. Start asking to help. Again, just track everything you do in a logbook.

If you build an airplane, the hours spent on each assembly and subsystem count towards your A&P training if you document those hours and the topics. I know an individual who built 4 airplanes and the FAA accepted the record of tasks completed to approve his taking the A&P practical exam.

And he won an award for workmanship at OSH with one airplane and he campaigned the Pitts he built to the IAC Advanced Championship. Not bad checkpoints along the way to his A&P certificate.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Orion, If you take the apprentice route, I suggest you visit your local FSDO and talk to a ASI before starting. See what kind of documentation they are going to require to issue the authorization. Just keeping a logbook of your activites might not cut it.

Have you investigated any Part 147 schools?

In Louisiana, I was able to attend a state funded technical college and my A&P certificate cost ~$700. I attended school while working a full time job. The tuition at a commerical A&P school can top $30k so it pays to look around and see what's out there.

I may be biased but I recommend a Part 147 school over the apprentice route. It's faster and less expensive.

Might as well get started right - go to FAR 65 and read 65.71 thru 65.79 - They will tell you exactly what you will need to know and do.

I did my A&P by civil experience and it only took me a quick 16 years. It is more than just logging hours, the type of experience is also required. The hard part is putting together a package of documentation *and* getting your local FSDO to buy off. FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 5, Paragraph 5-1135(G) defines EXACTLY these requirements.

In short you will have to show verifiable experience in 50% of the subject areas listed in 14 CFR 147 appendices B, C, and D. These appendices correspond to the General, Airframe, and Powerplant. Practical experience must include documentary evidence with the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment used in maintaining and altering airframes and powerplants. The total experience required is 30 months for the A&P when applied for together. This means a total of 4800 hours.

Upon satisfactory documentation of these requirements, the FSDO will issue two FAA form 8610's. These are your approval to take the 3 written exams (general, airframe, and powerplant) and the Oral & Practical exam. The O&P exam is conducted by a DME - Designated Mechanic Examiner. My O&P exam took a little over 9 hours. The DME said it typically takes 9 - 12 hours for the exam.

Get to know your local FSDO! Start attending IA seminars and FAASTeam maintenance events to meet the FAA inspectors. Tell them your plan, get to know them, and that way it will not be a surprise when you show up asking for this very difficult to obtain sign off.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Kurt Flunkn; 09-26-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Good information above, I will add to start logging all of your work. I just got approval for my A&P after 25 years of working on the side!! The Feds love documentation, I brought pages and pages of detailed information on all the aircraft I had worked on, along with pictures, that satisfied my inspector.

As for the homebuilt time counting it appears it may be inspector or FSDO dependent. I was 198 hours short of the required 4800 hours and wanted to use the 807 hours of time I have building my RV8 to count for that remainder, which that time is signed off by an I.A.. At first my inspector (Portland, ME.) said that he would not allow homebuilt time to coun at all. I brought FAA order 8900.1 chapter 5 section 5 out and we discussed the section where it says time spent in the maintenance of experimental aircraft will be based upon its merit, I pointed out that I wasn't looking for a one to one on that time but for it to count as 1/4 time, he finally agreed and I got the authorization to take the tests.

Probably the fastest route thought the civilian experience method is to find a local shop that will hire you and work under an I.A., but your not going to get paid much at all.

Like most things in aviation you have to starve for the first few years until you move up the ranks.

Hope it works out for you,

Russell

As someone else suggested, check with your local feds. Mine will NOT accept my homebuilt building experience.