Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on getting a&p

Quote Originally Posted by gmatejcek View Post
    As someone else suggested, check with your local feds. Mine will NOT accept my homebuilt building experience.
    ditto.

Given the results of 11-6-2012 I have decided to get off the treadmill that has of late had me running on more and more of an incline all the while telling moochers what an S*B I was for making money. So I pulled the plug(s), banked MY money, retired and will now start A&P skool in January.
    I had one of the IA's I've done work for in the last 6 years call the Baton Rouge FSDO about experience requirements but as stated above they would only accept 50% of the work requirements thru an affidavit, the other 50% MUST be logged (pay slips, etc.). As I never thought of being an A&P until a few years ago I never kept a log of things I've done (hard to document being a kid helping dad gut a few TBM's to turn 'em into slurry bombers or helping dad with the "kidney tanks" on the Bell 47's he used for crop spraying (thank you Lauel Koll). Even more recently I've worked for 3-4 A&P's as they needed me never giving a thought about needing to document the time! Stupid yes, had I considered gettin the ticket.
    So my options were to get the IA to do an affidavit and put a BS book of work records together for the other half or just grind it out in school...as luck would have it I now have the money, the time and the approval of the House Commander (a CPA...her life is about to get VERY interesting...) to go and get the formal training at the Southern University Annex A&P School @ DTN and get my certificates! As soon as that occurs 13-15 months (day and night classes) I want to get a Sheepskin from Rotax...

Aside from the Rotax school this means I'll be spending all day (and a few nights) at DTN and between classes I can fly or fix or help out as needed. I've built a "pilot cave" inside my hanger with all the most of the requirements of living; microwave, fridge, TV etc. to give me a place to go between classes.

Working on aircraft ain't all that fun but taking something broken and making it whole is rewarding to a special few...

Chris
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...

Good luck with your training. I'm also starting my training in January, with Teterboro School of Aeronautics. Sucks that you didn't keep records of your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiperbiper View Post
    formal training at the Southern University Annex A&P School @ DTN and get my certificates! As soon as that occurs 13-15 months (day and night classes)

Good choice Chris.

I've done pretty much what you are except I couldn't quit my job so I worked my 12 hour night shift and went to CGCC another 7 hours. It was brutal but A&P school was fun. I went to CPS and took all the ROTAX courses as well afterwards. The Rotax courses are pretty expensive and are really more of a credential than practical experience. The classes are just 2 days each so while you will take a 912 down to the case it's not as much experience as you eill get on a lycoming or Cont in A&P school. Still, what's better than airplane motors?

EAA's Weeks hangar is just down the road from you & a great place to start on the road to an A&P licence. Our latest newsletter has a great article in it by Fred Stadler, titled a Winter Alternative (on page 6) which is all about volunteering at Weeks.

http://www.252.eaachapter.org/2012%2...,%20EAA252.pdf

Ditto martymayes comments. I bit the bullet and enrolled in a state supported school in Alabama back in the 80's. Tuition and housing (out of state) was $500 per QUARTER! Cheaper than not going to school! You can't live under a bridge now that cheap. Cost included one meal a day! Graduated two and a half years later with A&P and private license only $6,000 student loan debt. Look around, you might have to relocate temporarily but a couple of years goes by quickly. Besides the type of immersion learning and fellowship offered by these schools is a great way to get started.

Mr. Marty,

I know this is from an older post but I too live in Louisiana (55 miles north of New Orleans) and would VERY much like to do the same thing you did if it is still possible? Any and all help with this would be most appreciated sir.
    Clyde Oyler
    Yellowhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Mr. Marty,

I know this is from an older post but I too live in Louisiana (55 miles north of New Orleans) and would VERY much like to do the same thing you did if it is still possible? Any and all help with this would be most appreciated sir.
    Clyde Oyler
    Yellowhammer
    I think that's a great idea Clyde. Unfortunately, I don't think Delgato CC still offers A&P training which would be great for you. Too bad, that was one of the oldest A&P schools in the country. I think you'd have to hike it over to Lafayette, which is where I went to A&P school, now called South Louisiana Community College. That program is well supported as PHI and the other helicopter support companies need a steady stream of A&P's. I haven't lived in Louisiana in over 15 yrs so my info might be out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Orion, If you take the apprentice route, I suggest you visit your local FSDO and talk to a ASI before starting. See what kind of documentation they are going to require to issue the authorization. Just keeping a logbook of your activites might not cut it.

Have you investigated any Part 147 schools?

In Louisiana, I was able to attend a state funded technical college and my A&P certificate cost ~$700. I attended school while working a full time job. The tuition at a commerical A&P school can top $30k so it pays to look around and see what's out there.

I may be biased but I recommend a Part 147 school over the apprentice route. It's faster and less expensive.
    I strongly agree with Marty, the Part 147 route is preferable. There are public schools that have these programs for high school students. Some of these public schools have Adult Aviation Programs, usually a night class offering. These programs for adults are dwindling so the next choices are junior colleges but the cost is much more. Then comes the commercial A&P schools which can be the quickest route, 20 months and you have your mechanics license but as Marty states $30+ dollars.
    I lucked out and found a nearby school (Toledo Public Schools)with just that, a evening adult program attending evenings for 30 months, school schedule (summers off) 5 semesters. Started in fall of ‘2007 and finished in 2010. It was a breeze if you just did the homework. NOW! There is good news. Cost was $12k. One third the cost of commercial. But I was retired so I had the time. Did you hear me? I was retired!! Older. So there is more good news, I got a senior discount!
    These were the lady’s exact words. “ Your a senior, so you get 1/2 Off! Whoa, $6K.” I fooled around and waited almost until my written exams were to expire, then took my Oral & Practical in early 2012. I really won out.
    Unfortunately they discontinued the Adult program in 2013.
    Now I heard they have continued the high school program but haven’t heard of any Adult classes. Or any other schools around southeastern Michigan.
    This program is a godsend to a high school student that is willing to apply themselves (do the homework) so when they graduate high school they also get an A&P at the same time by passing the written exams and completing the Oral & Practical. Just think, you received your diploma, and your an A&P, and you’re 18 years old. You just gotta kickstart!
    One of the young guys who really was motivated finished the program and found employment on Maui working on commuter aircraft. Look at his opportunities. Darn he never got the chance to do fast food. Lol.