Thread: Hull and liability insurance for student pilots in an experimental aircraft.

Hull and liability insurance for student pilots in an experimental aircraft.

I'm a CFI in the Denver, CO area and I've got a ouple of students that want to purchase a Challenger II and have me teach them to fly it. The problem is they can't get insurance as student pilots in an experimental airplane. Does anyone know of a company that will insure students in an experimental? Falcon already said "NO" by the way.

Hi, Dennis;

I don't have an immediate answer for you, just a few thoughts and recommendations.

First the recommendation: I'd try some of the lesser-known independent aviation insurance agencies that aren't tied to one or two major insurers. Travers Aviation is one I've used in the past (certified a/c), and I'm currently using Ladd Gardner for my experimental Sonex. There are many others out there; some are hungrier than others and can usually find *some* way to get *some* kind of coverage. I thought there was no way I would get coverage since I only had 10 hrs of tailwheel time and zero Sonex time, but they came through....

That said, it might be easier to get coverage if you were listed as one of the named insureds on the policy. However, you then run into the problem of solo work where *you* would not be present. There might be some way to obtain liability-only protection in this case (I'm not an agent, so am just blathering...). Of course, it all depends on your student and how much $$$ they want to spend or how much risk they'd accept.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Try SkySmith Insurance. They got me coverage for my Sportsman when my friend's son wanted to get his PP with it. Call them at
    (800) 743-1439 or find them on the web at www.skysmith.com.

Another possibility is the "Ultralight" insurance through USUA. This is available for aircraft up to 1150 lbs gross weight. The main limitations are - no hull. They assume it's a relatively low-cost "ultralight", so the wreckage is your problem. The other main limitation - no liability for the passenger. They also offer some sort of add-on coverage for UL's used for instruction, so that might have different coverage (cover the CFI and the student?). Anyway, you can get coverage from zero hours time-in-type, and you can predict the price - it's right there on the web page, determined by gross weight. Under $500/year.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Thanks guys! I was running into insurance problems myself. No one wants to insure a young guy who wants to buy an experimental, even a cheap one. The GA industry really needs to get with the program in a lot of ways. Any ideas on who to go to for financing? Bank of America through AOPA turned me down.

First Pryority Bank in Oklahoma specializes in aircraft loans and is well versed in experimentals.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Thanks! I'll give them a call.