Thread: Need help with Ultralight in novel got to make it right

Need help with Ultralight in novel got to make it right

I have two people escaping from a grassy airstrip in the Yucatan. The ultralight model if possible needs to be open so the attackers can poke at their feet. Is this possible? Second what would the range be on this ultralight? I can have them make stops, but they need to fly from the Yucatan to Mexico City. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not a pilot, but my next book series will have a charter pilot in it...EAA is going to be important to me.
    Leslie Ann Sartor Lesann415@q.com

You could use a Quicksilver MXII Sprint as your model. With the tank full (6 gal of gas), a max cruise airspeed of 63 mph and burning 4.8 gal/hr you could get a total of 79 miles before the prop quits turning neglecting any head/tailwind. Since they wouldn't fly over the open water of the Gulf in that kind of bird, they'd have around 850 miles to travel making for a lot of stops. It probably wouldn't make for practical getaway transportation but that's what artistic license is for.

Your pilot/passenger combined can't weigh more than 354 lbs with that 6 gal of gas.

Also, to be clear, 2 place ultralights don't exist in the US by regulation any longer. They have to be registered as light sport aircraft with the FAA. I'm not sure what the regulations might be in Mexico.

Specs: http://quicksilveraircraft.com/wp-co...t-spec-vr3.pdf

Name:  0305002.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  17.3 KB

-- Paul S

Thanks for info on quicksilver

Hi Paul,
    Okay, most of this is great for the story...the many stops aren't, so I'll find another after they escape for them to get to Mexico City. Ohh, just thought of one. Could this be towed behind a truck?
    Or maybe I just need to get them out of harms way, and find another way to get them to MC. I'll check out the recommended website and make sure I describe it correctly.

Oh, the picture just loaded. The quicksilver would cover all most everything. GREAT. Now if I could only get them to a place where they can almost crash land in MC (run out of fuel, for apparently the xth number of times

Thanks,
    LA Sartor
    Last edited by Lesann415; 09-20-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add information

Well, they do advertise that the bolt together construction allows quick breakdown for transportation.

I found this video on the Quicksilver site. It's shot in Mexico with a float equipped model.

Good Luck!

-- Paul

Nice Trip

Cancun, Cosmel. Myan ruins, see it all and find several different aircraft to fly along the way. Seaplane down the coast, faster for overmountain and jungle legs. This could be very interesting. I will wait for the movie to come out.

Did I mention the script was done? It's won awards, but hasn't yet been bought. I thought writing the book with the hope it will do well, might spur the powers that be to making a move on it.

Thanks for the vid. The bolt together construction works so well for the story. I wish it had a longer range, but finding more ways to get them back or however I do it, will work as well. Thanks again.

Paul, I was looking at the specs and I didn't see a takeoff speed...my hero/ine are taxing down a muddy grassy strip and it seems to my herione, the villagers are almost running as fast as the plane is moving for take-off. Where on the specs would the take off speed be?
    Thanks L
    a

They don't list a spec for the rotation speed, but I would guess it would be in the range of 27-33 mph.

-- Paul