Thread: Visit to Chapter 1158 West Bend Wisconsin

Visit to Chapter 1158 West Bend Wisconsin

Last night Jeff Skiles and I were able to attend Chapter 1158's (West Bend WI) monthly meeting. Being so close to Oshkosh, we were able to drive down, which was ok with us..30kt winds and rain.

About 32 members arrived for the meeting. They have a very nice facility. They were able to do much fund raising and also sweat equity to purchase an existing crop dusting company hangar and building and convert it into a very nice EAA Chapter Building and Hangar. Chapter 1158 has recently sponsored an Aviation Explorer Post and also have a week long student day camp they run each summer to reach out to kids in the community to learn more about aviation and building aircraft, etc. If you get a chance, please check out their website: http://www.eaa1158.org/wordpress/

I was talking with Steve Pierce (VP) and he just recently received his Private Pilots license. Steve is in his early 50's and "wondered if he could do it". Steve is a prime example of what our new Eagle Flights Program is all about. Steve said to me and I quote: "If it was not for being a member of this chapter, I never would have been able to attain my private pilot's license!" That folks is what it is all about...joining a chapter...get that Eagle Flight...join the aviation community and tap into the support of a chapter!!

Attached are some photos I took during the meeting. It was great to meet the folks of Chapter 1158. Especially Leon Rediski. Leon owned Rainbow Field in Franklin Wisconsin (outside of Milwaukee). When I was a kid, my uncle and I would go to his annual pancake breakfasts! Leon was good friends with my Uncle. As we all know, the aviation community is a small world indeed. Leon's Cessna 150 is in the EAA Museum. It was the aircraft used by EAA for attaining the Auto Fuel STC! Good to see you Leon!

Name:  2012-09-19_18-41-07_927.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  Hand Painted Logos on Hangar Wall.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  66.1 KB
    Handpainted logos on hangar wall.

Name:  Chapter 1158 Meeting.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  82.6 KB
    Chapter 1158 meeting.

Name:  Jeff checking out on coffee machine.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  76.9 KB
    Jeff getting checked out on the coffee machine.

Name:  Jeff skiles Chapter 1158 sleeping1.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  75.2 KB
    Jeff's speech was riveting!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 09-20-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Fixed attachment issues.