Thread: Took Daughter (15) up in an RV6A

Took Daughter (15) up in an RV6A

Name:  2012-08-31_10-19-25_349.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  69.0 KB

Took my daughter Madeline (15) for a ride in the EAA flying club's RV6A! She truly has the RV grin!

ill bet you had a great time. she looks just like you. did she get any stick time? love my rv6.
    Name:  img6092ex.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  38.6 KB
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

A ride is great, and how about the flight lessons? She can solo a glider at 14 if there are any in your area, and be ready for powered flight in a year, solo that at 16 and take the private pilot flight test at 17.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.

I did let Madeline get some stick time....turns....holding level flight...she did really well. With the new EAA Employee Flying club...she can now take lessons that I can afford. We do have a SkyCatcher...that she saw in the hangar, when we pushed the RV6 in. It may be best to start her in the Skycatcher...she can always move up to the RV. She could be like me..soloed at 16...private at 17. Also, she would be the first female pilot in the family!

I have not flown a Skycatcher, but I have seen one.

And to me flying and learning in the Skyc instead of the RV6 is about like eating a bagel while everyone else is eating a donut.

The main thing however is for her to get started on lessons if she wants to. At her age, she can learn so easily and fast if school time allows.

But I don't know about this female pilot stuff, next thing they'll be wanting to run for office!

Kids can make you feel old fast. I taught my Sons to ski and race. Then the oldest one beat me in a giant slalom race when he was 10 1/2 years old. I knew he would get good quickly , but I wasn't aware of how fast I'd get old.

A funny story on kids flying. John Baugh, ex pres of EAA Warbirds, has a son who learned to fly. One summer as a teenager he got a job in a Stearman towing gliders in a nearby town. John told him if it ever got really windy, just to come home and don't try to tow that day. All went well until the end of summer brought a gusty day with crosswinds, and the young man did not stand down and come home; rather he flew as normal. When he got home, John said how worried he was, and the son said, Sorry Dad, I really didn't notice the wind as much of a problem.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-14-2012 at 04:02 PM.

That's good stuff Trevor! Thanks for sharing that experience. I can't wait to take my girls up in the -8!
    Brent Owens
    RV-8 'Contrary Mary' - Flying
    www.fixedwingbuddha.com

Here's another thing for kids who are teenagers learning to fly. Now Trevor's daughter may well be the kind of girl that does her homework ever night and spoils the grading curve for the rest of us.

But when I was in high school, I was one of those guys who needed a little boost to study. I loved to play football, had done so since I was a kid all through high school. But all I had to do to stay eligible to stay on the team was to make a C average, and that wasn't hard so I pretty much settled for that.

If my Dad had bought a Cub or a T-6 or something like that, and said that I needed a B average to fly it, I would have been on those books pretty regularly.
    Still, cheerleaders were a lot more fun the ancient history or latin.
    What if our school had been building a plane in shop class; that might have been the best of all.