Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New High School Aviation Club

Hey Joe, don't know if you are interested or not but there is a Charter High School in Grand Rapids, MI that is completely aviation focused. It's called the West Michigan Aviation Academy, the only aviation high school in the U.S. Maybe you can take a look at some of the things they are doing and apply them to your aviation club.

Young Eagles and Youth Aviation Adventure

Have you considered organizing a Young Eagles Event? Great way to get in the air and promote aviation. Or there may be an EAA Chapter in the area that already has one? Or search the EAA Young Eagles site for a schedule of events. Hopefully something close.

There is also Youth Aviation Adventure happening this Saturday, Sept. 29th. A little short notice, sorry. A 9am to 3pm event put together for Boy/Girl Scouting merit badge that is really pretty good and draws over 100 or more kids. I don't think they would turn away any interested youth group. I'll inquire while there this weekend. Next one is in May!

You may also try contacting Cleveland Police. They have (or had) an aviation department. Try to get a tour? Or perhaps Life Flight? Contact the FBO's at Burke Lakefront or Cuyahoga County airports.

Good Luck,

mike17d

The only EAA chapter I can think of off the top of my head that has regular Young Eagles flights is at Barber Airport (2D1), and it is quite a drive. I know that the EAA provides insurance for Young Eagles flights, but I am not sure if they only provide the insurance at specific airports, or for the Young Eagles pilots. If its for the pilots, then I can ask pilots to meet at an airport for the flights.

As for the the Youth Aviation Adventure event, I believe that I am the only Boy Scout in the club, but if they take anybody, that would be great to do for next year.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Joe, Contact a local EAA Chapter and see what you can work out with them. We, in Chapter 122, hold two rallys a year where we try to get a bunch of pilots and Young Eagles together, fly and have a picnic afterwards. But, during the rest of the year, we have a program that matches up a pilot and a Young Eagle on a one-on-one basis. The kid calls and lets us know that he, or she, wants to fly. Then we match him, or her, up with a pilot in their area, and they work out the details of when, and from what ariport the flight will take place. I'm sure you could work something like that out with a local EAA chapter. BTW - I'm currently preparing the package I promised to send you so I should be able to mail it in the next couple of days. Sorry for the delay but it has been a busy time for me....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I am going to try to do something like that. Thank you for your suggestions and donations!

rosiejerryrosie, sorry for the late thank you. I got your things about a week and a half ago. Thank you so much! We haven't been able to use it yet because the meeting periods have been canceled, but I assure you that they will. Thanks again!

OK, Joe. Keep us advised as to how your club is doing and if there is anything else we can do to help.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania