Thread: 1st stits, 1st of many posts

1st stits, 1st of many posts

I have had my sa3b plyboy a few years now, but only just now have the room to build.
    also new with internet, i just yesterday found the production list, and my tail # N17LS.
    also noted as "deregesterd". can somone tell me what that means? and also why it`s not on the list today?

Quote Originally Posted by dana hagel View Post
    I have had my sa3b plyboy a few years now, but only just now have the room to build.
    also new with internet, i just yesterday found the production list, and my tail # N17LS.
    also noted as "deregesterd". can somone tell me what that means? and also why it`s not on the list today?

According to the FAA registry, the registration was cancelled because it expired on 4/27/2011 under the new registration rules. Looks like the aircraft was sold, the seller reported the sale to the FAA and the buyer never registered the aircraft. It might be possible to retain the N-number if you call the FAA registry and get the registration straightened out -ASAP. Otherwise the N17LS number is going to purgatory where it can't be used for 5 yrs then it's up for grabs for whomever wants it.

Not sure if that specific N-number has any significance to you or not. If you are rebuilding the airplane, you can just apply for a new n-number when you apply for registration.

http://registry.faa.gov/AircraftInqu...Numbertxt=17LS

thanks for the reply

thank you for the information. i bought my stits in 2005 from a true old mechanic who had started a restoration then i ended up packing it away for a few years. i am putting it togeather now, but was unaware that i had any obligation to the FAA until it was flight ready.

With respect to the "can't be used for 5 yrs" - I was going through the registry the other day looking for potential numbers to reserve. I found quite a few in that limbo status of expried, but can't be re-issued for 5 years. My guess is the numbers go into that 5-year limbo for situations such as this - someone doesn't realize the number expired and when they figure it out they can get that number reinstated for that airplane.

To the other side, I'd be willing to pay for my reservation on one of these in-limbo numbers if the FAA would rather take my money than just have numbers sitting unused in a database... My suspicion is there's a lot of junked airplanes that are really in a status of no-longer-exists, pile of junk, basket case, parted out, scrapped, abandoned - or otherwise will never return to flight status. When the registration on these has expired, the FAA may as well immediately release the number for re-use...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    To the other side, I'd be willing to pay for my reservation on one of these in-limbo numbers if the FAA would rather take my money than just have numbers sitting unused in a database... My suspicion is there's a lot of junked airplanes that are really in a status of no-longer-exists, pile of junk, basket case, parted out, scrapped, abandoned - or otherwise will never return to flight status. When the registration on these has expired, the FAA may as well immediately release the number for re-use...
    Hi, Eric;

You might ask John and Martha King about that. Just a year or so ago they were confronted at gunpoint for having a stolen plane. Turns out they had a N-number that USED TO BE on a different plane that had some run-ins with the law.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    My suspicion is there's a lot of junked airplanes that are really in a status of no-longer-exists, pile of junk, basket case, parted out, scrapped, abandoned - or otherwise will never return to flight status. When the registration on these has expired, the FAA may as well immediately release the number for re-use...
    Your suspicion is correct but the FAA doesn't know that. For example, I have followed a C-150 I use to rent. It was destroyed in a windstorm 32 yrs ago but it remained on the registry until the registration expired a few months ago. For all the FAA knows, it has been flying all this time. If what you say is true, that they are giving the owner a period of time to recover the n-number, it needs to be in limbo for 5 yrs. after the registration expires. In reality that number has been "available" for 30 yrs.