Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips and tricks for spruce capstrip?

Tips and tricks for spruce capstrip?

I'm just about done with my rib jig board, and I'll be starting work on building ribs this week. I've never worked with spruce before (lots of previous wood working experience, both art and furniture-type stuff, just no spruce), and wondered if there are any tips or tricks to it?
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Get the DVD from John Gaertner at www.BlueSwallowAircraft.com

I have the first one, he just sent out an email saying he had disc #2 available now, it is on my list of stuff to order this week

Seerjfly
    Last edited by Seerjfly; 12-31-2011 at 08:29 AM.

I reference Peter's site frequently...read the whole blog before deciding for sure on the Tailwind! Very well written blog.

Good tip on the sanding...didn't know that.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    I'm a bit biased since I work on putting these together but the Hints for Homebuilders video tips are a great source. Here is a link:
    http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1531204362
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

I was looking for that exact tip this weekend on the HFH video site...missed it somehow! Thanks Charlie...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I don't know how much bend is in your capstrips, but if there is much, you might have to build a steam box like this one and pre-bend the capstrips in a form. Here is what I did for our Pietenpol ribs.
    Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 1329
Size:  82.5 KB
    The steam machine is a wallpaper steamer from Lowes. It has no trouble raising the temp inside the box to 212 deg.
    Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  62.6 KB
    The former is a 2x8 cut on a bandsaw. The capstrips dry out overnight in the former.
    Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  46.5 KB
    My grandson does the nailing with a pin nailer from Harbor Freight. Works great and fast.

I use this stapler for building ribs. http://www.jimslimstools.com/Product...__1D0001N.aspx with 3/16" crown staples.

My experience with Harbor Freight air and electrical tools has been less than stellar and at times dangerous.

That's quite a tool you built there Allen! I won't need a steam box for the Tailwind ribs...all I need is the spar forward to be soaked/steamed.

Could you post some more details about the box though? Curious...

I have a pin nailer from HF that I've used with success for years around the house for interior trim...looks like the same one your grandson is using too!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

The steambox is 65" long and built of pine 1x6 screwed together and caulked at the seams. A hinged door that seals well on the front with 2 shelves inside to facilitate circulation around the sticks. A nylon 3/4" thru hull fitting from the marine store is installed at the top and hooked up to the wallpaper steamer tube. At the far end is a 1/8" vent hole and hole for the temperature probe. I used an electronic thermometer from my deep fryer. Pipe insulation protects you from burns around the metal fittings that attach the steam tube. I steam for 3 sticks at a time for about 1 hour and then clamp all 3 in the 2x8 former overnight.