Thread: Tsa too much

Tsa too much

Re the thread on the TSA at Clearwater airport in Florida.

In today's, Wed. USA Today paper, the headline is
    Reduce Patdowns, House Gop tells TSA.

"It's time to reform TSA", said Rep. Mike Rogers, Republican from Alabama, because of public dissatisfaction with it's tactics and how much it spends.

The TSA deputy admin, John Halinski, said he would respond in writing.
    My guess is that it will be merely a justification of what they have been doing, without any admission of wrong, much less inclination to change.

While this doesn't immediately affect those of us who fly private gen aviation planes, it may in the long run. So far, TSA has just run amuck and done pretty much as they want and spent as they want. If the House subcommittee gets some control of TSA, it may be a first step to the public and gen av being treated as citizens and not targets of TSA.

And most of us travel on the airlines as well as fiy our own airplanes and for me, if I wanted to have some guy feeling me, I'd go to a gay bar.

The TSA has a mandate to "Protect the transportation network". The mandate is so open ended it gives the TSA virtually unlimited powers and a virtually insatiable appetite for $$, regardless of the marginal benefit of the additional funding.

The powers that be need to establish a more realistic objective, such as "Prevent airliners and other mass transit equipment from being used as a weapon."

With locked cockpits we are unlikely to see a repeat of 9/11, so why are we spending such effort in preventing that type attack?

Beyond that, it baffles me that we spend so much time and money cracking down on the GA segment, which is a relatively hard to employ, limited threat.

Do you suppose that its too much to request a fresh pair of rubber gloves when its my to turn to grab my ankles?

Thank You Kyle!

Spot on in very few words! This is the result of the emotional panic that gripped the country after 9/11. If we had any "leadership" this might have been prevented. All the nonsense that we experience flying with the airlines is just a show for the public. Ditto, when it comes to the GA as a threat. Most SUV's can carry more destructive weight than a single engine private plane. The TSA is a CYA for the politicians in D.C.

Joe