Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kickstarting a Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    The wording I saw is "certain circumstances." Since the Primary Category regs predate the LSA regs, and instruction and rental is allowed for LSAs, I wonder if there would be a case to be made for EAA, AOPA, etc. to petition the FAA to revisit that "certain circumstances" provision.
    Matthew, we turned out to be wrong. According to AC 21-70, the "certain conditions" are nothing more than "being maintained by an FAA-certified mechanic or appropriately rated repair station". This is because, unlike the S-LSA that came later, Primary a/c were intended to be maintained by pilots-operators. So, it turns out that Cessna Pilot Centers can instruct in white-certed Skycatchers all they want. -- Pete

That's great news. For most two-seaters, "carriage of persons or property for hire" is not significant in terms of commercial use, but rental and instruction are key. Oddly, I can't seem to find AC 21-70 on the FAA site or via Google, but the AC 21-37 says this about rental and instruction:

22 0 FAR Part 91 - General Operating and Flight Rules.
    a. Section 91.325 lists operating limitations unique to primary category aircraft. No person may operate a primary category aircraft carrying persons or property for compensation or hire. If maintained by an FAA-certificated mechanic or appropriately rated repair station, a primary category aircraft may be rented for personal use as well as rented for flight instruction.
    Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft